Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about night shading my Impala headlights so they match my tinted tails and windows. I was wondering how much dimmer they were at night and if there were any visibility issues? I have phillips crystal clears bulbs which are like silverstars. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Well, this is a really vague and difficult question to answer. It really depends on how dark you want to tint them. IIRC, the bulbs you have in are about 30% brighter? If you did a nice, thick coat that could still be seen through, I wouldn't doubt you'd be at or a bit dimmer than OEM would be with no smoke. Like I said, no guarantee since the question is a tad difficult, but it is a good ball park to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, not planning on going to dark. When I watched the vid for tinting your tails they said no more then 3 coats and it turned out perfect. So I was thinking maybe 2 coats. Just looking for someone who has done it. Thanks Don for a good start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depends on where you are. In washington any tinting on the tail lights or headlights is illegal. Check your local laws.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Depends on where you are. In washington any tinting on the tail lights or headlights is illegal. Check your local laws.
^This. Plus you may not pass inspection with it either. Unless you have a hookup.

I got rid of my tinted tails since the local PD had nothing better to do then pull people over for tinted tails.

·
$ILLK
155 Posts
I would do no more than two coats or a nice thick one just to smoke them. I just recently took mines off when I installed my HID's and must admit the night vision was terrible, especially on streets with no lighting. Had to check if they were on the first time I was out at night with them on. I had 3 coats on mine and while I loved the look on them, driving on back streets was rough and not safe when scanning for potholes even with above stock lightbulbs. I might try it again but definitely no more then two until I get the black housing headlights I want. U may want to consider like I'm doing and go for just the eyelid look instead.

Hope this helps. Good luck and drive safely.

Bump that.

I really need to start reading these post dates, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts