Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is making a clicking noise when entering 4 cylinder mode. I hear this with the windows down only. at around 35-25 mph in 4 cylinder mode it just continuously ticks until I am back in all 8. Obviously I could just disable dod but I read on LS1 tech that it could be my timing belt tensioner. Does this sound right? I would prefer to keep dod but if I have to I guess I wouldn't mind keeping it at 8. Shit always starts goin bad at the same time lol. I think it is time for a serious tune up.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If LS series motors have timing belts, that's the first I've heard of it...

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Oh, timing CHAIN... Well, it could be I suppose. But it could also be a lifter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, timing CHAIN... Well, it could be I suppose. But it could also be a lifter.
I feel like if it is a lifter I would be paying a lot more vs the timing chain. Does that sound about right? I would like to get this fixed but i'm not on the powertrain warranty anymore. Seems like it might not be worth it. I would rather just disable dod but I can't justify paying $600 to do that

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely get that knocking noise when I start the car in the morning. Probably happens about twice a week. Last about 30 seconds to a min. I think Dave from TEP mentioned that they can tune the computers on our cars. I wonder if he can remove the dod.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I would expect a lifter to be as expensive or possibly cheaper than a timing chain.

I would spend the $50 at the dealer and find out what they determine. It's quick and gives you a diagnosis, even if you don't plan on using their services.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Overkill can tune your ss and remove the dod. Is it a knock or a tick when you start it?

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
So I get the knock sound at startup. Then, cruising in 4 cyl I get the ticking noise.
805_IMPALA_SS,

I am sorry you are experiencing these concerns. Just to let you know we are here if you need any assistance. If you decide you would like to take your Impala to a GM dealership I would be more than happy to locate one in your area.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I'd bet it's a lifter then. Tuning out DOD will help with the cruising, but you'll still have it on start up.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Its included.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts