Impala Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys recommend a tire for my 2014 Impala LTZ 3.6? I live in NC and drive about 1200 - 1600 miles a month. TIA.

·
Registered
915 Posts
i love the continental extreme contacts and had them on until recently. i'm sure i have thread on the forum about them. i think i had them about 50K and thats how long they were supposed to last

i wanted something cheaper but found pirelli p7 on sale locally for same price as tire rack so i got them last fall. un/fortunately i havent driven them in snow yet but i can tell you in rain they have superb traction at higher speeds and i have full confidence in them. i may even pay full price for them next time if they have good snow performance. but i tend to use the jeep for snow.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Continentals, all the contact versions are very good tires. Right now the P7 would be my choice because of the amazing ratings all around. But the P7 needs to be on sale because they are running over $200 each right now. I'm seeing better ratings for snow and ice on the P7 then most brands. Looks like Pirelli hit a home run with that tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you guys recommend a tire for my 2014 Impala LTZ 3.6? I live in NC and drive about 1200 - 1600 miles a month. TIA.
Not concerned with winter weather here. Thanks. I've looked at Continental and Michelin both...PZero Nero came on it. Been a good time for me but lots of nasty reviews.

Sent from my Note5

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
Love, yes love, my P7s.

Have them on our 2014 Limited and my Lincoln, which has the exact same tire size as the 9th gen LTZ 20s. Love them.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Based on TireRack put General Altimax on the wife's 2014 and she is very happy with the winter performance though you said that is not a priority, this is a reasonably priced tire too.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
the P7s are $203.82 a piece (for the 235/50/18) at Sams Club if you have a membership. They are also $80 off a set of 4 and also half off the install package (saves $30) right now until the end of the month.
Comes out to about $7.50 cheaper per tire than tire rack after shipping and taxes for me at about $196.05 a piece. Then $30 for install of all 4 with valve stems, lifetime balance, lifetime flat repair, lifetime rotation, roadhazard warranty and 3 years emergency roadside tire assistance is hard to beat.

Reactions: thomas.kreh and TSS

·
Registered
82 Posts
Based on TireRack put General Altimax on the wife's 2014 and she is very happy with the winter performance though you said that is not a priority, this is a reasonably priced tire too.
These will likely be my next set of tires as well. GENERAL ALTIMAX RT43, 65k tread wear warranty, and out scored the P7 in wet weather testing by a large margin. In dry conditions, they score fairly evenly. At $125/tire, don't see how a person could go wrong with this tire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been running Firestone Firehawk wideoval AS for some time and have been pleased. I live in northern Indiana and was looking for a performance all-season tire and the performance and handling I have been pleased with. If you are in a climate where an all-season tire is not needed you may want to consider the Firestone Firehawk WideOval Indy 500 series, which is the non all-season tread version of the tire I am running.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have been running Firestone Firehawk wideoval AS for some time and have been pleased. I live in northern Indiana and was looking for a performance all-season tire and the performance and handling I have been pleased with. If you are in a climate where an all-season tire is not needed you may want to consider the Firestone Firehawk WideOval Indy 500 series, which is the non all-season tread version of the tire I am running.
It's good to hear that someone has been satisfied with Firestone! Again not to bash or refute your statement. But I can not say anything but negative on Firestone. I have had four sets from the factory on new rigs. The only that was good and a possible recommend was the FR710's I had on my last Malibu.

I have had friends and family with issues with Firestone also.

The only brands that I recommend are: Goodyear, Michelin, Uniroyal, General and BF Goodrich. Now some of these do wear faster with the factory tires like Goodyear and the BF's I am sure some of these were the with low mileage tires like 200-300 tread life.

Pat

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have been satisified with the stock Firestone tires. They have close to 16,000 miles on them so far and still look like new. Haven't caused us to get in an accident and haven't made the car slide on any pavement so there is nothing to complain about.

On the other hand, the BF Goodrich 60,000 mile Long Trail T/A tires I have on my truck haven't quite made it to 15,000 miles yet and they are almost worn out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have been satisified with the stock Firestone tires. They have close to 16,000 miles on them so far and still look like new. Haven't caused us to get in an accident and haven't made the car slide on any pavement so there is nothing to complain about.

On the other hand, the BF Goodrich 60,000 mile Long Trail T/A tires I have on my truck haven't quite made it to 15,000 miles yet and they are almost worn out.
The Firehawks are a good three season tire no doubt. Bring them in the snowbelt or even where I live in the lake effect area of west Michigan and your thoughts would be different.

Case in point, I think we had some ice on top of three inches of snow. We parked our vehicles out of harms way (we have a big tree on our property above our drive) in the school across the street. I had to punch the traction control off and stand on throttle to spin my way out of the parking lot. The boys S-10 2wd with new skinny tires walked out with no issues.

Pat

·
Registered
915 Posts

for your truck. maybe try michelin ATX m/s i think they are called

i put them on my jeep in 2007 and still have them. they got me through 22 inches of snow on a winding bad country road to pick up my gf and get her to work

jeep is my winter car so my SS/new impala doesnt touch snow unless it has to.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I think I'm going with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my truck next time.

Snow is not a big concern for me, longevity and wet weather is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went with Goodyear Eagle RS-A. At $117.44 a tire and 30 day price match we'll see how they do.

Sent from my Note5

1 - 17 of 17 Posts