Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, fellow Caprice freaks.

I'm planning to take the waggin' (a 1994 model) in for a much-needed update - a new stereo (standard modern detachable face with auxiliary input, cd player, you get the idea). While this is a very basic need, my question involves the antenna, or what I believe is the antenna. When I have turned on the original radio, there is a "thumping" sound coming from the right passenger side - I think it's the antenna trying to rise, but without success. I am a little worried that having someone from Best Buy install a new unit may cause problems - in which case, I'd rather drive in silence.

Is this something to be worried over, and if so, what needs to be done before a new stereo can be installed? Weird question, I know - but this is my honey, and I want to take good care of him.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Howdy, fellow Caprice freaks.

I'm planning to take the waggin' (a 1994 model) in for a much-needed update - a new stereo (standard modern detachable face with auxiliary input, cd player, you get the idea). While this is a very basic need, my question involves the antenna, or what I believe is the antenna. When I have turned on the original radio, there is a "thumping" sound coming from the right passenger side - I think it's the antenna trying to rise, but without success. I am a little worried that having someone from Best Buy install a new unit may cause problems - in which case, I'd rather drive in silence.

Is this something to be worried over, and if so, what needs to be done before a new stereo can be installed? Weird question, I know - but this is my honey, and I want to take good care of him.

Many thanks!
I wouldn't sweat it too much as long as you're still picking up a good radio signal. My antenna was all tore to shit for a good year or so (it was bent, it wouldn't come up half the way, it wouldn't go down all the way, I basically had to pull it up and push it down myself:cool:)

It should be fine with any radio so I wouldn't worry about it too terribly much. You can buy an antenna off I believe NAISSO and install it yourself.. its a little work but it saves some money unless you can get a good deal from a shop:biggrin:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the word. The radio signal comes in just fine, but the thumping is what's irking me... the main concern there is that something is causing new/further damage to any of the systems. It goes on for as long as I have the radio on. We'll see. On the advice from a fellow in the know, I'm hesitant now to work with BestBuy - and I don't know of anyone around here who necessarily knows what needs to go into the repair of this problem. I am seriously hoping that I'm not stuck driving in silence for the duration, especially seeing as how I take the old boy on road trips... sigh...

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Just another option to avoid further expense....why not keep the stock look with that radio and get a small sat. radio? They are cheap these days and only cost a few dollars a month and work very well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I get this option with a CD player? I listen to some seriously obscure music, to be honest...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, how about that... this thread's been posted on the Myspace bulletin board! Here's hoping for some more input... thanks, folks!

Best wishes - Me and the Tillie

·
Registered
71 Posts
Antenna Issue

how long does the noise last ???? unless you have a power antenna, then it shouldnt make that noise... on a caprice car, not wagon, the antenna is located in the passenger fender...

what i suggest you do, either get a new antenna for the car, or when installing the radio, dont hook up the stock antenna to the radio... best buy has antennas that are small ( like the size of a sirus antenna ) and you can mount it anywhere in your car... this will eliminate the noise of the stock power antenna turning on, because its not hooked up, and if properly ran right ( hiding the wires right ) the aftermarket antenna will actually work better then your stock one...

·
Registered
1 Posts
An idea you could try is... you can still plug in your antenna wire to the antenna itself, but disconnect the power that makes it go up... on new decks there usually is a power antenna wire that powers your antenna when your deck turns on, so if you are doing it yourself, just dont supply power to it, if Best Buy is gonna do it, request that they dont hook power to it.... just my idea

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed - it's the power antenna. I will probably go with what you folks have mentioned - George Bates also brought up disconnecting the power antenna function. It's a constant thump - the thing's trying to come on out - which continues endlessly. So, if the antenna's getting reception anyhow, no need for the power function.

Thanks so much, everyone - I think we'll be able to work it out. If the installers have an issue, I'll call it off and let you all know... wish me luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, everyone -

After some quick research, I found a basic Kenwood stereo that fits the wagon - it has the features I need, and seems to have a decent reputation. Sadly, I had to order the thing, sound unheard - it's a model that isn't available in stock at the stores. I have a feeling that it's thanks to the measurements of the unit - the newer, smaller profile is easier to find. However, I'm fine with it - I'm not a fanatic for precise, perfect sound - just give me the options I need, and I'm good.

I'll let you folks know how it all goes, once the unit's delivered and installed - god, it'll be nice to have music on the road...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts