Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my 07 Impala LS this past summer, it's been making a "thud" noise from the rear whenever I go over any kind of bump in the road. The noise seems to be coming from dead center in the rear. Strange as it may seem, I'm wondering if this noise may actually be coming from beneath the seats in the back. Another poster wrote that he got rid of a similar noise when he tightened some bolts underneath the rear seat during a rear speaker installation:

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-i...-noise-coming-from-rear-over-speed-bumps.html

In addition to the above post, when I press the rear seating down hard, I can hear what seems to be a similar noise, though much fainter (which makes sense, road bumps at speed probably cause more shock). So my questions are these:

(1) how do you remove the rear seats to check on something like this?
(2) if it's not the rear seating, what is most likely to cause a "thud" noise over bumps? Sway bar links? Something else? Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would first check to make sure the spare tire is sitting tightly in the truck. Then I would crawl under and see if anything is loose. Grab and pull at everything under there. If nothing is wrong, then I would look at interior. Unfortunaletly, i can't tell you how to pull the back seat out. I would even check to see if the trunk lid shocks are loose.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought maybe it was the spare tire too, especially since the spare tire sits underneath the floor of the trunk. Unfortunately, I removed the spare and you can still hear the noise over bumps.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The bottom cushion of the back seat just pops out, there are two release handles at the front, pull them, lift, and pull the cushion forward. There isn't really anything there though, unless you have the compartment there.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Reactions: Orioles

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would check the condition of the upper strut mounts in the trunk. I have a thud in my front end because of my uppers. Does the sound seem like its inside or outside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts