Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also have a 2016 LTZ with the 20 inch tires and I hate the noise they make. My car, when driving on certain roads, makes a thump, thump sound from the tires. At first I thought I had a problem with the car but the noise goes away on most roads, it seems very smooth road cause more tire noise. I only have 20K on my tires but I might replace them early as the noise drives me crazy. I have had the tires rotated and that helped a little. How can they make such loud tires today, did GM not test these before approving them for the car?

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Update: I got a call back from my Service Advisor, who just heard back from GM. According to GM, these 20" tires on the Impalas are performance tires and it's "NORMAL" that they will maintain a flat spot in them for (wait for it) 10-12 MILES until the tires warm up. WTF? He suggested I call GM, (800-222-1020) which I did. Any minute now, a Sr Advisor will call with some options.

No other car that I know of has this issue. My 2003 Z06 with Z-rated tires didn't do this. Heck, my 1976 Jeep I had in high school didn't do this. Why in 2017 would a new car do this?

They know they have an issue with these sub-par BF's but haven't dealt with it yet. Fingers crossed they do the right thing for those impacted.
Now that you mention flat spots I realize that my 20 inch wheels are doing that too. No wonder the thumping goes away after driving for awhile. My road is very smooth and I thought that was it as it always does it when I drive away in the morning.

I hope GM will do something about it as I too have owned many new Corvettes in the past 10 years and NONE have had this problem. If I had know this I would have never bought the 20 inch tires.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had to put my two cents in after reading so many negative posts about the 20" wheels/Bridgestone tires.. I've got a new 2017 premier with same tires, I've only got 900 miles on it and love it. Had a 2014 that was the same exact car but had 18" wheels that I put Michelin pilot super sports on it. The new car with 20's rides just as good and is just as quiet so am I the only one who doesn't hate the 20's ?
Give it a little time, I never noticed the problem when the car was brand new. Maybe as you put some miles on it the tires change?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts