Impala Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fell in love with the Impala by renting them from National through work (many times in Austin!). The ride was outstanding (because they typically had the smaller wheels with more rubber). The power was phenomenal. The pricing last year was perfect with over 20% off. So I bought a new LTZ last year.

I only have 9,000 miles on it now and each time I swear it's either out of balance, has taken on a flat spot inside of 24 hours on at least one wheel or there are issues with the tires and when they're in sync, it's a POS.

When I was in the Chevy dealership last week, I mentioned it to the tech. He said he'd check with GM and let me know. Shockingly, nothing back yet. I just called and he's waiting on the rep to circle back with him. It might be tomorrow or next week.

I too was considering downgrading the expensive OEM wheels on my new car to accommodate for the awful ride quality, but I haven't yet. I've owned cars with similar sidewall height and ratings, but nothing as wagon-like as this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: I got a call back from my Service Advisor, who just heard back from GM. According to GM, these 20" tires on the Impalas are performance tires and it's "NORMAL" that they will maintain a flat spot in them for (wait for it) 10-12 MILES until the tires warm up. WTF? He suggested I call GM, (800-222-1020) which I did. Any minute now, a Sr Advisor will call with some options.

No other car that I know of has this issue. My 2003 Z06 with Z-rated tires didn't do this. Heck, my 1976 Jeep I had in high school didn't do this. Why in 2017 would a new car do this?

They know they have an issue with these sub-par BF's but haven't dealt with it yet. Fingers crossed they do the right thing for those impacted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Summary/Update:

I said something to my dealership about the BF tires. They said they'd call GM. The dealership called back and said the flat spots were reportedly normal for 10-12 miles until they heat up and go away. We both laughed about the response. The dealership tech suggested I call GM (800-222-1020), which I did.

Two weeks go by and a "Senior Advisor" calls and says that he needs to follow up with the dealership before advising of next steps.

Another few days go by and he calls back. He states that after talking with the dealership, it's NORMAL AND WILL GO AWAY AFTER 10-12 MILES. What the hell?

Process Flow Summary
Me -> Dealership -> Me -> GM -> Senior Advisor -> Dealership -> Me

There are enough people complaining about this situation that GM has created a BULLETIN about it. Furthermore, he said they have no intensions of doing anything about it. The "Senior Advisor" claimed that calling in and complaining helps prioritize what GM will take action on.

(800-222-1020)

My guess is that replacing all these crappy tires on a platform that they're eventually going to phase out isn't a high priority.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts