Impala Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
One other question i have is with the TPMS sensors in the tires how long do they last? Any reliability issues?
No issues with the sensors in our 2012.(knock on wood)

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think my car was put into service some time in 2013 and mine are still the factory pieces. I have done one set of tires so far and have not had any issues. In fact, the dealership didn't even try to sell me the TPMS maintenance. Without looking, I'll bet a set of 4 can be had cheaply on Ebay or RockAuto.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't find the TPMS to be particularly useful 99.9% of the time. I guess if there were a problem that went unnoticed it would be nice to get the alert (One time I have riden on low tires and had to pay to replace because the tire was not noticed and patched in time).
Looking at the cost to replace being too high for the value I get from the TPMS, I wonder if there is a way to just turn off the TPMS warning system entirely if/when it fails?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is yours the kind that shows individual tire pressures or just gives a warning light when one of the tires is a little low? Either is available in many vehicles, or at least was 9 years ago, and my Patriot has the single warning light. My tires usually get a little low anyway because I don't keep up with them like I should, but they still keep a decent bit of air in them. When I last had the tires in my Jeep changed, the sensors were falling apart and I needed something to hold the air in. I couldn't afford new sensors, so they just slapped in standard valves. The side effect to this? That low tire light blinks for a few minutes when I first start the vehicle, then stays solid the rest of the drive, letting me know it can't find a sensor. Not the cleanest dash look, but I didn't have to shell out for sensors either.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
in my experience fog lamps look nice but don't add much light except within 10 feet of the car. if you had an impala without fogs and wanted to add fogs, i think it is possible to do so but it takes more work than you might think. wiring kits, brackets, cutting the existing bumper if you don't get the correct bumper with the cutouts already in place, and even possibly having to reprogram the body control module to make them work properly.

if you want them, it is easier to pick a car that has them from the factory than to install them later one.

i have them in my silverado LTZ and 99% of the time forget to turn them on at all.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I like the fog lamps especially where I travel in low lit areas at times. Every little bit helps. And I will tell you to just go LED on the low beams and fogs and call it good. High beams are optional, but I think you will be happier with LEDs. I just did mine and am happy with them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I like the fog lamps especially where I travel in low lit areas at times. Every little bit helps. And I will tell you to just go LED on the low beams and fogs and call it good. High beams are optional, but I think you will be happier with LEDs. I just did mine and am happy with them.

I have always thought about going that route with my Aurora but I didn't want to trial and error with them in terms in dependability and fitment and the cost as well as the fact halogen housings are not meant to accommodate them properly, I went with the HIR mod in my Aurora but i realize in the Impala i can't do that. What led kits do you use and did it require modification?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have always thought about going that route with my Aurora but I didn't want to trial and error with them in terms in dependability and fitment and the cost as well as the fact halogen housings are not meant to accommodate them properly, I went with the HIR mod in my Aurora but i realize in the Impala i can't do that. What led kits do you use and did it require modification?
I just went through a little bit of trial and error. Luckily, I only went through 2 sets of bulbs, with the 2nd set being the winner. Read all about it here...

https://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/1868073-finally-went-led-on-the-headlights-and-foglights.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I have read that article, my my understanding you had to modify the headlight housing to make those lights fit correct?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Well I am back again, unfortunately the black Impala sold a few weeks back but I found another in like new condition that just arrived at a dealership near me. They want about 15k CAD for it but i want to knock them down a few thousand. I took her for a test drive a few days ago and wow so smooth and powerful. There website has no pictures yet but I took a few after my test dive, it has a black interior but with tan seats and armrest. Let me know what you think.

https://www.marynurse.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2012-Chevrolet-Impala-LTZ-Whitby-ON/3466785553

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqos53sz9a87vim/20190710_195823_HDR.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0l4qtolaw9l5ex/20190710_195835_HDR.jpg?dl=0

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have read that article, my my understanding you had to modify the headlight housing to make those lights fit correct?
I didn't have to modify the housings with either set. The first set just wasn't a good fit with its design. The 2nd set, from BPS lighting, was much better for a couple of reasons... shape of the bulb was similar to a stock halogen and direct plug in to the bulb instead of into a wire that runs into the bulb. The first set of bulbs had radio interference issues also. The BPS bulbs are much better for the 8th gen Impala in my opinion if you are looking for true plug and play with no modifications. The two year warranty is cool too.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Well I am back again, unfortunately the black Impala sold a few weeks back but I found another in like new condition that just arrived at a dealership near me. They want about 15k CAD for it but i want to knock them down a few thousand. I took her for a test drive a few days ago and wow so smooth and powerful. There website has no pictures yet but I took a few after my test dive, it has a black interior but with tan seats and armrest. Let me know what you think.

https://www.marynurse.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2012-Chevrolet-Impala-LTZ-Whitby-ON/3466785553

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqos53sz9a87vim/20190710_195823_HDR.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0l4qtolaw9l5ex/20190710_195835_HDR.jpg?dl=0
$14,990 Canadian is $11,500 USD... so in my opinion they can come down some in price, don't know about the few thousand you were thinking, but I think at least 1500 to 2000 lower would be good. I know this much... the 8th gen Impalas don't sit long on dealer lots around here. I would say go for it if you like the color combo and it is mechanically sound. I would offer 3000 less and negotiate accordingly.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
$14,990 Canadian is $11,500 USD... so in my opinion they can come down some in price, don't know about the few thousand you were thinking, but I think at least 1500 to 2000 lower would be good. I know this much... the 8th gen Impalas don't sit long on dealer lots around here. I would say go for it if you like the color combo and it is mechanically sound. I would offer 3000 less and negotiate accordingly.

I was thinking about starting at $10000 CAD and meet in the middle maybe $13000 CAD taxes in. I find around here with 2012 or 2013 LTZs sit either for a few months or a few weeks. I do like the color. I can understand the demand for them is anyone does their research and is looking for a large car despite sedans being phased out.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Looks pretty clean. It does say that it was a rental, so you can always you that to negoiate the price down a little. Also, I would ask to see a Carfax - just to make sure that it wasn't in any major accidents or a flood car or someting like that. You never know.

I purchased my 2012 as a previous rental - I purchased it with 19k miles and paid $12,995, if I remember correctly. I now have about 65k on it and it still runs as good as the day I got it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I was thinking about starting at $10000 CAD and meet in the middle maybe $13000 CAD taxes in. I find around here with 2012 or 2013 LTZs sit either for a few months or a few weeks. I do like the color. I can understand the demand for them is anyone does their research and is looking for a large car despite sedans being phased out.
Go for it! You never know what they might say.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I just got a Carfax report from the dealer, It only reports the Canadian history of the vehicle and not from when it was a rental. I remember the dealership saying that it was a "Executive Rental" from Oklahoma, I was hoping the Carfax would list that but it does not. Looks like the car came back to Canada in December of 2012 with about 13,000 KMs on it.

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I would test drive the car and give it a good look-over and if all seems well, go for it! I always said that I'd never buy a rental car - then I bought my previous-rental 2012 Impala and haven't had any major issues with it. I would still probably avoid rental sports cars, but for a daily-driver like the Impala, I wouldn't let the rental thing be a show-stopper. Lots of business folks use cars like this when they are on trips - and most don't beat on them. But, I would still use the previous-rental thing as a bargaining tool. :)

Let us know what you decide and how everything goes if you do buy it! The 2012+ Impalas have a fantastic drivetrain with the 300hp V6 and 6-speed trans.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts