Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Adaptive cruise control? Lazy man's excuse to not pay attention while driving. That plus lane assist, auto dimming lights, backup cameras, automatic parallel parking, backup beepers, all designed to make us say "why not just make the car drive itself" instead of "why are we taking control away from the driver instead of teaching people to drive?" Even the dual climate control I admit I see no point to in such a confined environment at an automotive cabin. Wouldn't the two different temperature settings merely interfere with each other? And automatic climate control doesn't seem that much a better option either. Had it in the truck I drove last year, was kinda nice but I've never found anything wrong with the standard controls.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Adaptive cruise control? Lazy man's excuse to not pay attention while driving. That plus lane assist, auto dimming lights, backup cameras, automatic parallel parking, backup beepers, all designed to make us say "why not just make the car drive itself" instead of "why are we taking control away from the driver instead of teaching people to drive?"
Many of these are steps leading up to self-driving cars. The sensors for some of these functions are also needed for self-driving, so implementing these lesser features allows the sense and control technologies to be vetted and verified before moving up to fully automated driving. That is, features such as lane assist and collision avoidance (and many others) are all building blocks for self driving cars.

Even the dual climate control I admit I see no point to in such a confined environment at an automotive cabin.
This could be one of those features that affects the purchase decision without really being a helpful feature, other than helping the dealer sell more cars :)

Doug

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, I'll stick with a car that does what I tell it to do, haha.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Yeah, I'll stick with a car that does what I tell it to do, haha.
Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm old school, for sure. I was just pointing out that all this stuff is leading up to self-driving cars.

I'm not ready to turn the wheel over to a computer. The aviation guys have been automating the cockpit for decades, and they still have issues to resolve. (737max comes to mind.) And, IMNSHO, automated driving is about 10 billion times more complex than auto-pilot.

The computer can take my wheel when it pries it from my cold, dead hands :) Can you tell I'm a Luddite? :D (Sort of, anyway.)

Doug

·
Registered
638 Posts
That is what I wanted to know and since i am striving for a LTZ trim I should be fine with 18' rims and I plans to stick with the suspension that is for that trim line, not changing to LT or LS struts. How do you guys find the interior lighting of the car? I understand there is just a single dome light that come on when you open the door and not the mirror lights. I am thinking of adding LED lighting to the car for added brightness.
Definitely helped, and made the car feel classier. I used the good Sylvania Zevo bulbs for my interior. More expensive than the Ebay stuff, but no flickering or other issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This is true is sickening what a dealership can do to sell you a car at what you think is a good deal, makes me fell good about purchasing a used impala, I save a ton of money in the long run and I get more car despite not having touch screens and such! I think its a poor decision for someone under 30 with a minimum wage job to make payments on a new car, especially your first new car buying experience and you let the dealer learn that. I am not a fan of extra sensors in a car just to fail or malfunction. I am excited for my purchase. Another question I have is what king of lug nuts are on the LTZ's? Do they have exterior threads for caps?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
12x1.5. 19mm (3/4") hex. Open or closed end will work fine. For appearance and protection, I prefer the capped over the external threads.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
12x1.5. 19mm (3/4") hex. Open or closed end will work fine. For appearance and protection, I prefer the capped over the external threads.

Do these nuts have any corrosion issues? I am thinking of getting intrigue external threaded nuts so i can use the caps in my intrigue rims, the front hubs are the same on these cars so they should fit with my intrigue winter rims and use the impala ones for the LTZ rims.

This for example: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=9841804&cc=1382284&jsn=8

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is true is sickening what a dealership can do to sell you a car at what you think is a good deal, makes me fell good about purchasing a used impala, I save a ton of money in the long run and I get more car despite not having touch screens and such! I think its a poor decision for someone under 30 with a minimum wage job to make payments on a new car, especially your first new car buying experience and you let the dealer learn that. I am not a fan of extra sensors in a car just to fail or malfunction. I am excited for my purchase.

You sir, will be getting more car BECAUSE there's no touchscreen. Automatic headlights and DRL's with no known fix, yes, TV screen where there should be a radio, no.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You sir, will be getting more car BECAUSE there's no touchscreen. Automatic headlights and DRL's with no known fix, yes, TV screen where there should be a radio, no.

I like how you said that! Also I don't have a issue with DRL. I am going to use H9s for high and low beams.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I must say, I for one really enjoy the following features:

- Backup camera (added to my Impala, stock in my Challenger). Absolutely needed in the Challenger due to huge blind spots. Nice to have in Impala. Again, you can disable if you don't like it (although, it can only help, so not sure why you wouldn't want it).
- Backup beepers - again, nice to have in the Challenger - hurts nothing.
- Automatic headlights (in my Impala and Challenger). Can't forget to turn on your headlights when it's automatic! Can always disable them if desired.
- Automatic climate control (in my Challenger - always wished it was in my Impala)
- Heated and cooled seats (Challenger only) - the cooled seats are *so* nice when it's hot out!
- 8.4" touchscreen (Challenger), 7" aftermarket touchscreen in my Impala - love it, love it, love it!!

Again, these things are there if you want to use them, but you don't have to. Personally, I love these features and I'm glad they exist.

I'm NOT a fan of features that "warn" me when I get too close to something or apply brakes for me without me asking, but I'll take a touchscreen radio over a "regular" radio any day. I also like dual-zone climate control. Yes, the temperature mixes easily, but my wife can still have warm/hot air blowing on her directly while I can have cool/cold air blowing on me directly, which I find very useful (have dual-zone in my Impala and my Challenger).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got dual zone in my Impala, but I always set the temp the same anyway. Need a way to stick those two controls together, haha.

Backup cameras I can almost understand in something with near-zero visibility, but in most vehicles, even with lesser visibility, I would imagine, and my time spent behind the wheel in 47 states confirms it so far, it's mainly a matter of knowing where your vehicle's corners are, getting out to look if you're not sure, and learning to properly use the mirrors. Maybe even add extra mirrors. And the beepers....that's just asking for trouble once you borrow a car without it. Again, learn the vehicle.

Automatic headlights....is pulling a switch too hard? Driver control is sadly lacking in this culture and this only encourages it. And again, once you wind up in a vehicle without it, or where autolights can be turned off, you're just gonna get in trouble. Learn to DRIVE, not just operate, ya know? And DRL's is part of all that. If my headlight switch is off, then all the lights should be off because that's how switches work!!! And if somebody has trouble seeing my car, then they need to practice situational awareness while driving!!!

Automatic climate control seems more like a gimmick than anything else. Bit of a novelty, but in the long run reasonably useless because the standard works just fine, and when even a Jeep has this stuff, maybe we should rethink the extent to which these novelties are perceived to be needed?

Heated and cooled seats I can see use for in extreme climates, and would expect in a Cadillac or maybe a higher Impala trim, but again, it's in so many vehicles that it's often thought of as a need, when it isn't. Makes me shudder when I read about somebody expecting their Jeep to have this sort of thing, or remote start, or other mom-mobile/Cadillac stuffs.

And of course touchscreen....because we need to cut down on distractions, right? So lets install a stinkin' TV screen right smack dab in the middle of the dash on everybody's vehicle, when we want them to concentrate on the road, but also we want the car to do the driving for them, or something like that. Sure, maybe make it an option on higher end vehicles(maybe the LTZ Impala if that? But still, more novelty than anything else and definitely not a necessity), but to just throw this crap around? I wanna drive a car, not a rolling entertainment center!!!!

Now I'm not saying all this crap should be made illegal. Maybe the lights that come on when switches are off, or anything else that directly impedes driver control, but the First Amendment is still a thing. I would sooner educate the motoring public on the dangers of relying on such things, and require that every single American citizen wishing to become a licensed driver to have at least a hundred hours(maybe more) of experience in a vehicle with a standard radio(if any), no rearview assistance besides rearview mirrors, and they need to walk outside to fire it up in advance if they want it heated or cooled to a specific temperature before driving. That sort of thing. And at least 25% of this experience needs to be in a vehicle with a manual transmission. Doesn't matter if it's a column or floor shifted manual, as long as it's H-pattern with a clutch. No flappy paddles.

Sorry for kinda hijacking your thread, Derkach. All I've seen as a trucker, it's hard to not get rattled when I see and hear so many advocating for features that take away from the experience, the art form, that is pure unadulterated driving. Also, please tell me those H9's you mentioned aren't HID/LED? That crap screws with everybody's eyes even on low beam, even when properly aimed. Something about the light itself, it's not great to have to see while buzzing along the interstate at any hour of the day or night.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's what I've got on my Patriot, but the Impala as a low-mid range easy-ride sedan has electric windows, mirrors, and locks; six way power driver seat, and manually adjusted passenger seat. About all I'd expect from such a vehicle, with a little extra adjustment available for the driver seat, plus leather seats all around and lights that I can never manage to turn off while the vehicle is on.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
...give me manual crank windows, manual adjustable seats and manual locks, lol!
I still think of power steering and power brakes as options :) And electric windows and door locks are for Cadillacs :)

Seriously, the electric windows aren't necessary, but the electric door locks are super handy. It's so nice being able to push a button - in your pocket - from 100 feet away - and know that your doors are all locked :)

Doug

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
^+1. And I'd skip the power steering/brakes too...
Honestly, with the front disk brakes becoming common around 1970, I haven't seen much need for the booster since then. Even less need with today's 4-wheel disk brake vehicles.

My 74 F-100 had un-powered front disk (and rear drum) brakes. With the strongest muscles in the body controlling the brake pedal, I hardly felt any need for a booster.

OTOH, even Nascar went to power steering back in the 80's :)

Doug

21 - 40 of 93 Posts