Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's.

I live in California and there is a 1996 Impala SS for sale with 115k miles on it.

He is asking 7k for it because of gas prices. Theres a couple of dents in the doors, and the front left quarter panel got bent by some kind of rock or something. I work at a body shop and can have the body and paint fixed cheap.

The interior looks good, no rips or tears. and I looked under it and the only thing leaking looks like the hose going to the oil cooler on the radiator.

Now my question.

Is this a fair price for this car? is it too low? too high? How much should I offer him?

How can I tell if its a clone?

I also wrote down the vin # I havent done a carfax yet either.

If you could help me through this purchase I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
On the inside of the trunk lid there is a build sheet code from the factory. Look for the code WX3 that is the code for impala also G80 for posi differential. If anywhere on the label you see the following codes, its a cop car or civilian.

9C1
B4U
7X7 (dual spotlights at some point in its life)
make sure it does NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT SHOW L99 ANYWHERE ON THE LABEL AS THAT IS THE BABY MOTOR, NOT THE LT-1 MOTOR.

Also with damamge and mileage over 100,000 I would not pay more than 4500-5000

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to find one with lower miles, but it seems like people want 10k for decent ones..

Should I keep looking?

And do you know of any for sale for a decent price?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Dont let the mileage scare you at all (dont buy anything form states that have/get snow!) these cars are built to last more than any other of its type. Proper maintenance will give you 1,2 or even 300,000 more miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.. I just found one in Sylmar 10k OBO with no damage and 80k miles

You think I should offer him like 7k?

or should I just offer this guy in Lancaster 5k for his one with damage?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
You might piss off the person in sylmar with a low ball like that. try 9000 and see what happens. Otherwise go with the first one and bring the price down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm ok, ill see... But you think this one with 115k is an ok deal? How much should I offer him?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
On the inside of the trunk lid there is a build sheet code from the factory. Look for the code WX3 that is the code for impala also G80 for posi differential. If anywhere on the label you see the following codes, its a cop car or civilian.

9C1
B4U
7X7 (dual spotlights at some point in its life)
make sure it does NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT SHOW L99 ANYWHERE ON THE LABEL AS THAT IS THE BABY MOTOR, NOT THE LT-1 MOTOR.

Also with damamge and mileage over 100,000 I would not pay more than 4500-5000
Like i said earlier....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, I might go for that one cause I dont think this guy will take less that 7 for his 115k one/.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think you could save quite a bit of money if you look outside of Metro areas.

Even better if you could browse out of state.

·
Registered
9 Posts
115k miles on an LT1 engine is nothing as long as it's been properly maintained. I changed out my timing chain at 175k miles and it didn't even need it! These LT1s are built to last.

-ImpalaMan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gosh, it just seems like people everywhere are asking way too much for their 96 Impala's.

Anyone know a good website listing?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
They are still a 'limited' production car. Prices have dropped some, and you will find some good deals if you are willing to wait or travel a bit. Most peole that are selling are not going to take BlueBook value, I wouldn't for mine just because it is the LAST year RWD V-8 fullsize Impala Chevy made, and they DIDN'T Pump out 200,000 of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts