Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the car is overheating

does it mean it's time to get the thermostat replaced?
since it's getting above the middle line.

turning on the heater on High helps it drop to the line below the middle and the air is scorching HOT from the heater it has damaged the flippers for the vents on the dash

Yes it has plenty of coolant in it.
the Large hose does not get that hot

tail pipe has clear air from it.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
At idle my car rises to just above the center line and when driving it goes below. My coolant level is fine. If I was you I wouldn't look too far into it as it sounds like its woks properly.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
At idle my car rises to just above the center line and when driving it goes below. My coolant level is fine. If I was you I wouldn't look too far into it as it sounds like its woks properly.
Mine does the same too :beer:

With that being said, since a thermostat is a very cheap part a rad flush and new thermostat couldn't hurt. :eek:k3:

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
little bit of smoke came out after that 120 mile trip (240 round trip)
I did add some oil before the trip but it should have burn off on the way there

\it's been off over night (about 10 hours) I going to pop off the radiator cap and bleed it.

how do I take it off ?

I twist it counter clock wise to open it but it seems stuck but loosens when turning it.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
press down and turn if it stop at the safe or pressure release zone press down and turn again. it then come off. when you put it back on make sure it is all the way seated.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
press down and turn if it stop at the safe or pressure release zone press down and turn again. it then come off. when you put it back on make sure it is all the way seated.
ok got it off

is the cap supposed to be really dirty looks like it caked on with a lot of debris

Attachments

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
some are you might want to replace it. how many miles on it?

After looking at picture better replace it.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Yes replace the cap, save you trouble later

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Replace the cap asap (hey that rhymes...) . Judging by the gunk built up, a radiator flush really wouldn't hurt...

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Replace the cap asap (hey that rhymes...) . Judging by the gunk built up, a radiator flush really wouldn't hurt...
Thermostat is working now Still has the original one though. I bought a replacement at the dealer while I was there getting the cap. Just in case, since they had only a few left on hand.

Ran in the "middle" when running the A/C on 3.

Coolant is clean & clear pink

Also just looking at the cap it looks like the rubber ring has failed on the old one and the cap is caked on with dirt.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You've been 'Dex'd'

GM Dex-Cool (the pink coolant) is notorious for gunking up and causing blockages in the cooling passages. The crap on your rad cap indicates that you've got that going on. All that crud is Dex-Cool gunk.

If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I'd plan on doing a rad flush at the very least right now. If not, you can probably limp it along until something else happens (probably a clogged heater core is next- maybe a leaking lower intake manifold gasket).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Disagree. Dex-Cool's problems are well documented. I've personally experienced them, without using any sort of leak preventer/fixer.

Changed yearly Dex-Cool seems to be OK, but it was originally marketed as (edit- 5-year) 5-year/100,000 mile coolant. It breaks down WAY before that and creates gunk/sludge that sticks in any choke points in your cooling passages.

Good read:
http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm

I believe GM settled a class action law suite with owners who claimed damaged engines from Dex-Cool problems. That's pretty telling.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I work, as a mechanic, in a shop that deals with vehicles ranging from airfield equipment to heavy diesel vehicles to your daily drivers like impalas and sonatas. We have 4 GM Master Technicians as well who state the problem was the tablets put into systems when Dexcool was new and this practice is no longer done.

The lawsuit didnt cover all vehicles that use dexcool, which speaks volumes towards it not causing issues. If dexcool was the main cause, it would have had a bigger effect on vehicles included in the lawsuit. You ought to read up on this more because you are misinformed.

I have been using the coolant in my 04 impala since I purchased it in May 2008 and have no problems with the quality of the coolant in my resevoir or thermostat or radiator cap. I drive my car hard and would expect to replace ANY type of coolant at regular intervals, not just dexcool.

You are one person in a dying "dexcool is evil" generation, my friend. Read up and evolve.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Never had a problem with it either, several cars made it past 250k miles with no issues, changing at 100-150k.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Guess we'll just have to disagree. I'm certainly not a master mechanic, but this isn't my first rodeo either and my experience has led me to believe that Dex-Cool stinks. LOL

Too many times cleaning gunk out of cooling passages on Dex-Cool filled GMs vs everything else I guess.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Keep in mind, the tablets were used from the factory, and by dealerships, so that can account for a lot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts