Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if you can flip the differential on the 2004 and later impalas in order to make a mid engine type drive train. (Tranny in front) I am building a custom vehicle from scratch and want to know what my options are. Any help would be appreciated. Also, how strong are the cop car drivetrain and what can be done to make them stonger?

Thanks, T.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is very difficult, but if you ARE spearheading the project, then props to you, it should be worthwhile.

the w-body is a realtivly fragile car (body/chassis wise), and the front has a reinforced FRAME, which would be just for the trans and engine. (remember those? they were used in the 70's for the entire car, not just the engine bay)

Youd have to actually build a frame that would support the power of a push from rear wheels. Otherwise, the tin-foil contruction would simply keep trying to flex the body of the car, then youd have to design a completely new suspension.

Honestly, its not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yeah i ddint want to put any negative comments on here but just drop an lt1 in it people have been doing it for years for there build it yourself projects sry

but if u do end up using a fwd motor show us some piccs!!!!!!!!:eek::biggrin:

·
Banned
117 Posts
yeah i ddint want to put any negative comments on here but just drop an lt1 in it people have been doing it for years for there build it yourself projects sry
F an LT1,i'd go with the Much better/stronger LS1.

The only cars the LT1 was good in was the Corvette,and only cuz the Vettes LT1 was a 4 bolt main,not a 2 bolt like in the B and F bodys.....

Plus the Vettes LT1 had much better parts on it as well.

Why do you even bother posting in the 7th gen section anyway?

Also you act as if the LT1 is the be all end all of motors :icon_study:

·
Registered
5 Posts
F an LT1,i'd go with the Much better/stronger LS1.

The only cars the LT1 was good in was the Corvette,and only cuz the Vettes LT1 was a 4 bolt main,not a 2 bolt like in the B and F bodys.....

Plus the Vettes LT1 had much better parts on it as well.

Why do you even bother posting in the 7th gen section anyway?

Also you act as if the LT1 is the be all end all of motors :icon_study:
I know that I'm pulling this thread even more off topic but I see LT1 misconceptions and I'm an LT1 guy. The LT1 short blocks are the same with the exception of 4 bolt mains. F body and Y body have same heads, intake, pistons, rods, cam, etc. There are external differences IE , external accessories, fuel fed from opposite side etc but overall if you pull a long block out of an f body and place it in a corvette (with the corvette externals, or vice versa place Y body LT1 in F body with Fbody external parts. you wont be able to tell the performance difference from stock)

The corvette has better exhaust and air intake but that is due to better packaging than the F body)
Arguably the best heads were on the B body but they are iron, so most dismiss them (they flow the best stock)

My stable of cars consist of 95 Vette (not stock, 95 Impala SS, 02 Impala, and a G8 GT and honestly the 95 Impala is a surprising car. Its not fast but the LT1 quickly and seemingly effortlessly propels the Impalas mass in excess of 140 MPH and will do it all day long. On long highway trips if I can keep it at around 80mph it never fails to deliver mileage in the high 20s and if its cool enough to keep the AC off and traffic light I've averaged around 30mpg on more than one trip. (not just one tank entire trip)

That said my 02 Impala was a disapointment when first bought but KYB gas struts, bigger roll bars and some decent tires (michelins) made it into a great cross country cruiser. (all done with in the first year of ownership IE prior to 2003) The 02 seems to get around 2 mpg better than the 95 but it is lighter and is a base model without the leather and other luxuries in the 95.

Now for the G8GT it is kind of fast but the mileage sucks.

Won't compare the vette to these vehicles since it is a 12:1 compression 355 with AI heads and custom cam with enough duration and overlap that it runs fine on pump gas.

I personally know that the LSX is not the end all, it is a great package; however, my little lt1 has blown rubber on some allegedly better/stronger LSXs......and more than one modded cobra .

So if the original poster wants to mod a V6 FWD package for a custom build (Props to him)

Happy tax day!

·
Banned
117 Posts
Well put aboatguy ;)

I have owned 6 LT1 Caprices and 1 LO5 Caprice.I know the LT1 cars are pretty stout and can hold their own.Im just not gonna sit here and LT1 hump....

·
Registered
47 Posts
just to give you another idea, there are adapters to connect a SBC to a Porsche transaxle, the R&P can be flipped in those, that will allow you to mount the engine longitudinally and the drive axles come out the side of the transaxle...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
check the fiero sites, alot of them are doing 3800 swaps, they may have something that will help out. I know our blocks bolt to the old G-Tags, 4.3 (auto) s-10s, an even an AWD (i want to say 4t60?) trans... sorry I couldnt be more help, transmissions and I dont get along that well :rolleyes::wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts