Impala Forums banner

The transformation of my RYD

67K views 619 replies 53 participants last post by  RYD SLO 
#1 ·
Well, I decided it was time I consolidated all of my mods into one thread :eek:k3:

The first post will be my progress up to this point. All future updates will be posted here. Here goes nothing!

The day I bought her:

First Mod:

Added HIDs

Dipping:

SS Tail Covers

Tint

Wheels

LED under dash. All interior lights are also replaced with LED bulbs, but I don't have pics of that.

See less See more
#55 ·
Thanks bro! :beer:

#56 ·
Relocated my reverse lights to a license plate frame that I found online, in preparation for the quad tails. I dipped it to match the car, and disconnected the factory reverse lights. These seem to be brighter than factory as well, which is a bonus :eek:k3:

Reactions: tonyc712000
#58 ·
Thanks man, I was having trouble figuring out what to do the relocate the reverse, but when I saw this plate frame on eBay I knew it would be perfect.

#60 ·
#61 · (Edited)
#62 ·
Wow iv never seen this one before. Nice find/pick. I was looking into the VLed one..but price vs reviews killed that idea. Mostly due to sun eating it. Maybe you should try and find a uv blocking clear coat? Just an idea. And your may already be uv sturdy. Idk.

#63 ·
They may be, I guess I'll find out. The frame itself is dipped, so I don't want to go throwing clear on it ATM.

#64 ·
Oh ok right on. I really dont know.. just throwin ideas out:beer:
I wish I would have done/known about my front led/clear bowtie not being uv stable.. the inside plex&chrome vinyl nearly melted in a curled up yellow chrisp lol. Its supposed to be a clear "infinity mirror" effect.

#65 ·
You probably have more problems with that in Vegas than I ever will :lol:

It was pointed out to me that the plate frame I linked above has RED LEDs instead of white. I bought mine from a different seller who only had one. I'm sure with some more searching you can find one with the white LEDs for around the same price

#66 ·
Oh yeah huh.. lol. I forget, not everyone had a 66°F Christmas..lol
and yeah. Its ok. No money right now anyhoo

#67 ·
After a quick eBay search, it appears the red lights are significantly cheaper than the white ones. The cheapest one I found in white was $45 free shipping. IMO, it's not worth that. I found mine listed for $30 free ship or offer. I paid $25 shipped.

And yeah, I hear ya. This is just for those who requested a link

#70 ·
SCOTTYINWV;10I7833 said:
So when do the tails go under the knife?
The tails are made, I just need to cut the clearance holes in the trunk lid. I was planning to do it yesterday, but I needed the dremel bit to come in the mail (it was supposed to come Saturday, still not here :bang:)

So, they'll either get installed this week in 15 degrees, or....not for a while, since I have to go back to school

#71 ·
Well, I just got the bit. So I'll probably end up braving the cold on Thursday or Friday to finish it up.

Left to do:
-Cut out clearance holes
-Run wiring
-Remove center tail cover and reattach to the quad set

Shouldn't take but a couple hours

Reactions: kevin
#73 ·
I'm excited, but still pretty peeved that the bits didn't come til today

#75 ·
It was only coming from PA. It took a week to get here.

#76 ·
For those still interested in a link, I found a listing on eBay with the same part number as the white led frame (50121) for $34.95, though the seller makes no note of the LED color in the description.

14 LED Chrome License Frame | eBay

#77 ·
Thanks for taking the time and posting the links but, totally not worth that price to me. But this may be of interest to someone else anyways. I really think I'm gonna order the one I posted as its a decent price and looks to be very bright with the smd led's. Plus if it turns out its not that bright I could just use it as a license plate light as I really hate the plate bulb housings. Mine are faded a bit

#78 ·
Fair enough. It wasn't worth that to me either, but I was willing to pay $25, and I'm glad it worked out the way it did

#79 ·
So $35 isn't worth having reverse lights?? It's only $35!! I'm assuming that it would last at least 2 years... Pretty cheap, if you ask me!

If you already have reverse lights, then this isn't needed at all. Really, the only reason that I can see using this is if you are "relocating" your reverse lights, like @RYD_SLO did - and in that case, it's worth much more than $35, in my opinion!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.