Impala Forums banner

601 - 611 of 611 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #601
You're defiantly there lol :beer:
Thanks bro! Means a lot coming from you. I remember when you redid your car a few years back, made me want to take the time to do mine right. Finally got around to doing it lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just finished looking through your entire thread and wow ? completely amazed. Even got some ideas for my ole Imp lol. Btw where did you tap into for your oil feed to your turbo? Or did the kit come with an adapter that goes between your oil filter and the motor?

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #603
Just finished looking through your entire thread and wow ? completely amazed. Even got some ideas for my ole Imp lol. Btw where did you tap into for your oil feed to your turbo? Or did the kit come with an adapter that goes between your oil filter and the motor?
Thanks man!

The kit came with an adapter that goes between the oil pressure sending unit and the oil filter housing. Its basically just a bit of aluminum that is threaded for the sending unit and feed line, and has a protrusion to thread into the oil filter housing.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
Swapped the engines last weekend! Engine, trans, power steering, and subframe were pulled from the donor car. Engine supposedly has ~85k miles, while the trans has ~90k. The engine had new gaskets put in, along with a new oil pan, water pump, tensioner, valve covers, and painted aluminum upper intake plenum, but is internally stock. The transmission got a ZZP 3000 stall torque converter, a TransGo shift kit, and a ZZP finned aluminum pan, along with a fresh filter and fluid. New subframe bushings were installed along with new Moog "problem-maker" (story on this later) lower control arms. The lower motor/trans mounts and axles were all new not that long before I blew the old motor, so they were transferred over as well. While the motor was out, I took the opportunity to cut out the old, rusty lower radiator support, and replace it with a piece scavenged off my donor car. Gives me a bit of peace of mind knowing that the radiator support will be solid for years to come. Pictures incoming!

Reactions: sheila and 04Imp38

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #605
Before:

During:

Done!

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #607
My issue with the Moog control arms/ball joints is that they come in contact with my brake rotors. The issue is caused by how heavily modified the car is. The much lower stance pushes the control arm angle up farther it would normally be. In addition to this, the Moog ball joints stick out at a different angle than stock. Combine this with Brembo front caliper and 14" rotors, and you get interference. Well, more like an awful grinding with the bottom of the ball joints gouging out the inside of the rotor. I ground down some of the ball joint to see if I could get better clearance but didn't want to take off too much and compromise the integrity of the joint. I'm now able to move the car forwards and backwards without grinding; however steering at certain angles, and especially over bumps still causes an excessive grinding.

So, another new set of ball joints, and hopefully they will clear without issue. Then a new set of rotors once I'm sure I have all the clearance I need.

Reactions: ABZS and sheila

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #609
The amount of work and detail you put into your machine is impressive! Enjoyed reading through your work!
Thank you for the kind words!

Finished up with the ball joint / brake rotor interference issue today. I ended up installing a set of "Proforged" ball joints, which were a bit smaller in diameter than the Moog joints. I ended up grinding a small section off the corner of these as well just for added insurance. I also installed a fresh set of Powerstop rotors. The pictures show the new clearances. Apologies for the crappy pictures, but the car is sitting on the ground, with all the weight on it and it's very difficult to get underneath to grab a picture with the car being so low. As you can see, it's still a tight fit, but so far no interference.

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #611
Quit? I don't know this word...😂😂 Whats up PA🍻

601 - 611 of 611 Posts