Impala Forums banner

581 - 600 of 604 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Hmm, I have to be honest, @Ryd - I'm not a fan of the wheels. To me, they look overly large on the car - and is that some negative camber I see going on in the rear (I think that's what it's called when you have to angle the wheels to fit when they are too large for the car)???

I always liked your car for the clean OEM look - but it seems that you're going a different route now...

Of course, in the end, it's more important to do what *you* like, but just giving my two cents. :)

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
I can't blame you @jtrosky, I am not giving you much of a picture to go off of. But no, there is no negative camber on the rear. My quarters are rolled to keep the tires from scraping, but no negative camber at all.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
Ok, it must just be the came lens causing it to look like that. :)

Looking forward to some better pictures. I typically like 5-spoke wheels, so maybe it's just the picture.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I think the SS wheels look better on your car Jeff.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #585
@Dave_N I've had em on my car for nearly 5 years. I got tired of them. Plus, the wouldn't fit over the Brembo calipers without spacers, and you couldn't see the Brembos behind them anyway.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Maybe going with a smaller caliper would have been a better route?

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
While I too liked the SS wheels better, it's really not about what *we* prefer - after all, it's not *our* car! :)

Jeff should do what *he* wants to do and what *he* likes! Obviously, he felt it was time for a change. It's all good!

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #588
The fact of the matter is, I wanted the car to stand out a little bit more than what it did. And the car DOES do that now. But there were other reasons for wanting them at this point, including the need for new tires on the SS rims, and my desire to change to a slightly larger wheel. I was aiming for a set of 19s, but came across a great deal online for these brand new 20s with brand new tires that was only slightly more than my budget for a used set of 19s, so I bit the bullet.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Did you calibrate the speedometer?
And how does it ride with the thinner tires on it?
I have some time left with my tires and I’m thinking about wheel stuff. IDK as of yet. It takes $$$ that’s for sure :)

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #590
No. Never calibrated it with the taller tires on the SS wheels either. It's close enough.

As for the ride, well, you definitely feel bumps more. and being lowered doesn't help. But on good roads the handling is far better. Probably has more to do with the summer compound than anything else.

Yeah, I was looking and my tires were getting pretty worn. They were just to the wear bars and starting to crack. I probably could have gotten another summer out of them, but it was time.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Happy to hear about the coilovers @RYD SLO !
BC Racing? And how does it ride/handle?
Can’t wait for pics too

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #592
No, I wish I had gone with the BCs. I went with the eBay coilovers just to see how they were. For $220 I didn't expect much, and while they do have their shortcomings (mainly the rear height adjustment and the lack of a pillow ball front mount or bearings to keep the springs from making noise as you turn), they are actually not bad.

That being said, the ebay coilovers would be good for someone who wants to slam their car to the ground for cheap. My aggressive offset means that I'd scrape if I were to have them adjusted to anywhere but all the way up, but on higher offset wheels and removal of the fender liners, they'd certainly allow you to go very low. Just don't expect the performance or adjustability of the BCs.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #593
Well, haven't updated here in a while.

I did end up changing over to the BCs after some bad experiences with the ebay coilovers that left me with some minor body damage. Bought the BCs and installed them along with new engine/trans mounts, the mount spacers, and fresh ZZP axles. Stance is excellent now, however I had to address the rubbing-on-the-rear-quarterpanel issue.

Started by rolling the quarters, however the double-walled design didn't allow for much movement. With the other body issues, including the aforementioned damage from the ebay coilover incident, some other minor damage from before I owned the car, and the rusty rockers, I decided it was time for a full refresh from a paint/body point of view.

Spent a few months taking my time, fixing the rust in the rockers, cutting the quarter panels for maximum tire clearance, and straightening all dings, dents, scrapes and scratches. Finished it off with a fresh coat of Galaxy Silver Metallic, and gloss black for the pillars, tail lights, and c pillar emblems.

I have some pictures of that process that I may post up later, however a few weeks after finishing the project, I was on my way home from a car show a few hours away, and while doing a quick pull on the highway, the CEL started flashing and the engine started missing on cyl 3. Pulled the plug, and the gap had closed to 0. Went in with a borescope and determined that something (unknown what at this time) came apart in the top end, and bounced around inside cyl 3, chewing up the piston and valves, scoring the cyl wall, and closing the spark plug gap before being ejected. I replaced the spark plug for shits and giggles, and she actually runs great, but there is a tapping coming from the top end, and I'm sure the scored walls are allowing for a decent amount of blow-by.

In any case, haven't pulled the car apart yet to determine exactly what happened, but I DID go out and purchase another 2000 Impala LS for $500 that has an 85k engine and 90k transmission in it. Drove it the 2 hours home, runs like a top. Will be pulling the driveline out of that car, going through it and refreshing it as necessary, before dropping it into mine.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
Pic dump incoming:

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #595 (Edited)

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #596

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
Looks sick man!
Thank you. Took quite a bit of work but I have so much more pride in the car now for having done it.

On to fixing the engine :bang:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Dude that looks so amazing!

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
Thank you! Trying to get on your level man!

581 - 600 of 604 Posts