Impala Forums banner

561 - 580 of 604 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
i'm jealous at the ability to do such work. it takes a lot of patience and work to do paint (I replaced dog legs and fixed rust in a 91 ford explorer in college with my dad who did repair paint in buick city previous to 2005....not my cup of tea lol). i bought a spoiler off of ebay that has been repainted 3 times now by my dad and his friend (friend offered for 120 to paint with left over paint and wasn't my imperial blue we found out after the fact...). then dad repaired that paint job and didn't realize the new hardeners used today were an exact amount not an approximation so the clear never hardened after a year of weather! this summer he took it down to fiberglass and started over, turned out great this time knowing he had to be exact with the hardener lol.

i'm waiting for the final pics after it is all together! you did a great job.
Thanks for the kind words. yes, it does take patience and a keen eye for detail.

I got the car put back together 99% at this point. Got all of the imperfections in the paint sanded down and buffed out, and all of the mouldings put back on. I just need to pick up a few little things from the junkyard (a few rocker moulding clips, some headlight retainers, etc) and give it a GOOD full detail, as its very dusty inside and out, and it will be 100%.

On to the pics!

At this point, I left the rocker moulding, body side mouldings, belt mouldings, and right headlight off the car so that I could have a little more room to maneuver the DA and buffer without having to worry about catching any of that stuff.

I also ripped out the rats nest of HID wiring I had while I was in there in favor of LED lights. Color temperature is much better, and they should be more reliable than the HIDs without the need for these relay harnesses.

After all of the sanding and buffing and polishing and waxing, I dipped the replacement emblem, and attached that, the body side, rocker, and belt mouldings.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Lookin lit Ryd!
What are you using for LEDs?
I’ve been looking at the Morimoto 2-stroke LEDs for the headlights, but IDK.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Lookin lit Ryd!
What are you using for LEDs?
I’ve been looking at the Morimoto 2-stroke LEDs for the headlights, but IDK.
Picked up a set off Amazon. The brand is Hikari (I believe) Been using them in my Escalade, and they've done well there, so I bit the bullet and switched the Imp over too.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Glad to see shes all good again!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Impala is looking great Jeff! :)

·
Super Moderator
12,431 Posts
Hey Jeff - glad to see that the Impala is back together and ready to go.

How did your turbo setup end up doing? Was it worth it? Did it make a big difference? Just curious - I don't remember reading too much about it.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Thanks guys!
@jtrosky the turbo setup is amazing. Whether or not it's worth it really depends on each person's position on cost vs benefit. To me, it was definitely worth it, not only for the performance increase (which was significant), but also the "shock" factor, both on the streets (for instance, when I smoked a 3 series at a traffic light earlier today) and at meets/shows, where people do double and triple takes after walking past without giving the car much thought. I am loving the reactions the car gets, and I really get a kick out of people walking by, jusssst about to walk past, and then they do a double-take and come back to really check it out.

It does make the car a lot more fun to drive, but also a lot scarier. I can sneak into holes and make maneuvers I wasn't able to before, just by the shear acceleration the turbo provides. But as of now, not having upgraded the brakes yet (is coming), and still needing a few more suspension upgrades and stickier tires, it can be pretty easy to let it get out of hand. So I really have to be careful not to get carried away. The other thing is the transmission. I'm very surprised that it's made it this long (3000 miles). But I can feel it starting to go, which I was definitely expecting. But as of right now, it's still holding on, and actually performing well in a daily-driver role.

I'm still running low boost. I can only imagine how the car would perform with the engine upgrades to be able to hold much higher boost. Scary fast.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #569
Looks great! Those are my favorite style headlights because they're like a more refined stock setup. Nice work.
Thanks Matt. I, too love these headlights. To me, they fit the lines of the car better than the factory lights. The rectangular headlights match the shape of the foglights. The one thing I'll say though is that they look 100x better with switchback turn signal bulbs than with standard orange. It gives the LEDs along the bottom more "shape" than just a straight line of LEDs.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I agree^
Switchbacks are in the need category for any car with amber front bulbs.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #571
I don't necessarily agree than they're needed on every car. I personally think my Escalade looks better with the amber bulbs, but I also added an LED strip to the headlights to give it a more modern look.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #572 (Edited)
I did my front brake upgrade yesterday. I got a good deal on the upgrade kit from ZZP on black friday. I went with the Camaro calipers over the more expensive CTS-V calipers, because the only difference is the powder coating, and I was going to be painting them anyway. I already had the stainless steel brake lines from when I ordered the turbo kit, so those went on as well.

One thing of note, these brakes will NOT fit under stock wheels without at least 1/2" of spacer.

On to the all important pictures!

Before!

some paint:

After!

·
Registered
979 Posts
11.9" or 12.7"?

I'm updating my 09 SS to the 12.7" front setup... DTS calipers and brackets (no core charge) with Raybestos Advanced Technology Cop rotors and Raybestos AT Cop pads.

I've read I can use the 09 11.9" Raybestos AT Cop rotors/pads with my Gen8 SS dual piston calipers/brackets on my Gen7 SS.

What I'd like to know is... Will the stock 17" Gen7 SS wheels fit over the 11.9" rotors and Gen 8 calipers?
If not I'll probably be swapping to the Gen8 18" SS wheels. They make the car look more substantial. I'll probably do it anyway and put the Gen7 wheels in the attic for when I eventually sell it but I'm wondering how deep a hole I'm digging myself.

·
Registered
774 Posts
That looks amazing!!! How do you like them?

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
11.9" or 12.7"?

I'm updating my 09 SS to the 12.7" front setup... DTS calipers and brackets (no core charge) with Raybestos Advanced Technology Cop rotors and Raybestos AT Cop pads.

I've read I can use the 09 11.9" Raybestos AT Cop rotors/pads with my Gen8 SS dual piston calipers/brackets on my Gen7 SS.

What I'd like to know is... Will the stock 17" Gen7 SS wheels fit over the 11.9" rotors and Gen 8 calipers?
If not I'll probably be swapping to the Gen8 18" SS wheels. They make the car look more substantial. I'll probably do it anyway and put the Gen7 wheels in the attic for when I eventually sell it but I'm wondering how deep a hole I'm digging myself.
13.6" This uses the CTS-V rear 4 piston Brembo (also found on the Camaro with different powdercoating) with CNC'd brackets.

As far as clearance goes, I couldn't tell you without mocking up the setup. I know in my case, the Brembo calipers stick out much farther towards the outside of the car (being that they are 4 piston instead of 2), and interfere with the inside of the face of the wheel. As far as clearance towards the outside of the rim, there is plenty. A 17" wheel would still likely fit, but would be a tight squeeze.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
That looks amazing!!! How do you like them?
I literally have not driven on them other than to move the car off the lift. So I can't really comment. But I'm sure they're amazing.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Do they fit under your 18's?

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
Do they fit under your 18's?
Yes and no. They do fit, but you'll need at least 1/2" of spacer to clear the front of the caliper (since it's a 4 piston design, it sticks out farther).

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
Man oh man, I'm gunna wait to post pictures of all the stuff I've been doing until I'm all the way done. The new wheels are the big one, but I've been busy.

Over the past week and a half, I've been working on rewiring my stereo top to bottom. I did the big 3 upgrade, ran new wire to the trunk, ran 3 new pairs of RCAs from the headunit to the trunk, and swapped in a pair of new subs to replace the two that were blown. I used KnuKonceptz 0 awg OFC cable for the big 3 and through the car to the distribution block in the back which splits it to 4 awg to each amp. I used all InstallGear accessories for my install and was quite impressed with the quality of the pieces especially for the price. Nice hefty construction. The ring terminals were very hefty and well made, but are nearly 1/4" thick where it gets bolted down. I had to use a pair of longer battery bolts from Advance, which worked out very well. I also used shrink wrap on the rest of the terminal to reduce the risk of shorting. Everything was ran under the carpet and tucked nicely.

Yesterday, my task was to get the steering wheel controls working. When I first installed the double-din, a couple years ago, I used an ASWC-1 harness to retain the steering wheel controls. It worked for about 20 minutes, and quit. Back then, I spent about 3 hours messing with it trying to get it to work to no avail. I was determined to get it to work this time, so I bought a new ASWC-1 (not exactly cheap), and it still wouldn't program. It wasn't detecting the wire that comes from the radio harness for the steering wheel controls. So I went to tracing the wires to see if there was a problem. There was no visible damage to the exposed wire and harness for the ASWC-1, so I started testing continuity backwards, up the steering column. Well, it was good all the way up, so I checked the harness, and boom, no continuity. With no visible cracks or burning/melting, no pushed back pins, and the wire still attached, somehow, the plug for the ASWC-1 went bad on that one wire. So I put the new plug in, and voila, they work.

The one up-side was that since I had the steering wheel apart and the airbag out, I took the opportunity to finally LED retrofit the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. So my entire interior is finally 100% LED and 100% working (had a few burned out bulbs elsewhere that I fixed).

I still have a few minor things I need to do (run a ground cable on the RCAs and run a new 3.5mm cable for the input on the center console) but its essentially done. Last thing to do is re-tune everything using the distortion detector to make sure I'm not clipping so I don't blow out any more equipment.

I also have one more mod coming that I've been wanting to do for a long time. When that's done, I'll post up a bunch of pictures and walk-around videos.

·
Go Get It
15,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #580
Well, I know I promised pictures and stuff a while ago. And I did finish with that last mod, but of course, being who I am, decided on one more mod, so you're just gunna have to wait. But I'll post a little bit of a teaser for you

561 - 580 of 604 Posts