Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be a place to post links to helpful tools for performing some of the DIY projects that may come up.
I know that in the past some of you have posted a fix for a problem and listed a tool/device etc. to repair it. This would be a place to come and look at the tools without having to search through the entire posting to try and find it.

The procedure(s) for doing the DIY job/project would still be posted in the proper place, this would just be for tools.
You could reference the tool that you used in your write up and post the link or video for that tool here.

If you have a useful tool you have come across, or fabricated yourself, that may help someone, or you have used that has worked well, or, conversely, you have purchased and found that it was a POS please post it
here.

( once I can figure out how to make this post a "sticky" I will )

I will start it off with one that I found and ordered from Amazon.

Amazon.com: UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Leak Checker and Airlock Purge Tool Kit: Automotive

Here is a video on how it works

I think this would be very helpful in refilling a cooling system and eliminate air locks.

EDIT July 8:
Received product. Initial impressions is that it is very well made and seems like a quality piece.
I will add more once I use it, but so far looks good.

·
Registered
651 Posts
HFT Digital Battery Tester

Digital Automotive Battery Analyzer

this is a must for anyone that maintains automobiles or any other vehicle with a conventional battery. Download the manual. The feature I like the best is the function that tells you how many CCA's you have left in the battery.

also kent-moore tool J-42640 steering column anti rotation tool , you can get them all day long for under $10 on ebay, no more using your seatbelt or bungee cords to hold the steering wheel from turning. verify model year and model before purchase.

·
Registered
651 Posts
here are two more

An Axle puller , A and B are Kent-Moore Impala tools I got on Ebay for a fraction of their price, C the slide hammer and adapters to the K-M shaft are from OTC.

This is an engine tilter. Going into various auto parts stores got many laughs when I asked for one. Finally found it. You remove both "dog bone" upper engine supports and insert this tool in place of one, may have to rock the car to get the trans tension to release then put the bolts through A and B and turn C to draw the engine forward. just noticed I uploaded the wrong picture no "A" "B" or "c" probably can figure out its function w/o those.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Cant forget my Automotive DVM. has dc volts, resistance, capacitance, temperature ( non infrared, through a sensor) RPM, dwell ( who has points anymore), period an pulse triggers , duty cycle, Hz , hold button and max min, backlit screen. bought at HFT for around $80 about 10 years ago, the ones they have now do not have as much functions. I included the battery tester Here is my all time favorite tool

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Wow! I have never seen an engine tilter before! I believe most just use a ratchet strap. That sure would be handy when working on the firewall side of just about any v6 fwd.

My most used tool is prob a dvm

My other favorites though not really tools

Dielectric grease (necessity IMO)
Thread locker

This nice bit set of mine gets a lot of use

Titan 16061 Bit Set - 61 Piece:Amazon:Home Improvement

And this little thing comes in great handy in tight spots (like replacing rear deck speakers)

·
Super Moderator
10,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got the opportunity to use my Air Lift today. Got the dreaded P0128 code while wife was using car.
Saga posted here :
http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-impala-8th-gen-discussion/241232-2006-3-9l-engine-hot-a-c-off-message-4.html

The air lift works great. It's fast. Oh boy its fast. Puts 25 inHg on the system in about 40 seconds or less. Kinda neat to watch all the hoses flatten out so quickly. Held vacuum for 15 mins and then I filled the refill tube with a/f so it did not suck any air when I introduced it to the system. I had a 4L jug of what I had saved that I drained out and it was empty in about 30 seconds or less. Started to suck air and I shut it off straight away. It was near full then as the gauge was near at 0. Poured the last 300 ml into the engine and she was full.
The only advice I would give if using one of these is make sure you have more coolant available than you think your going to need. It sucks it out pretty quick and the hose is a bit stiff and the screen on the end allows some air to get in once it gets below 1/2 inch.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder if its not a gauge for measuring rotor thickness.

A-G is good/new and if A-H fits over rotor is too thin.

The end that had FORD on it is a comparison gauge.
Hold it against the edge of the rotor and it must be the same.

If A-B slides over rear rotor is no good

Maybe ?????

It's a guess.

·
Super Moderator
12,439 Posts
That is something that I didn't think about (rotor thickness). Could be!

I was actually thinking that it may be used to connect to the ABS harnesses at the wheel in order to "short" them out to see if the wiring was good or something like that (you woud put the metal leads into the harness and it would "connect" certain pins and cause the ABS light to come on at the dash?)...

I didn't give you guys a size reference in the pic, but it's 2.25" x 1.5" (tip to tip).

Anyone else have any ideas? It's been bugging the hell out of me! Couldn't seem to find any thing like it on-line with a few quick searches.

The rotor thickness is a possibility though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
10,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont think it's a GM part but rather a tool made by CTA. They make all kinds of stuff for brake service etc.

I have a few of their tools here in particular one for winding rear disc pistons back into the caliper.

See below and you may be able to find that very tool in the pictures.

Unlikely it's anything electrical related. Dead shorts are usually a bad thing.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=CTA+brake+tools&client=firefox-a&hs=eKK&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wdx1VIrhFrTesATX5YAI&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1120&bih=591

·
Super Moderator
12,439 Posts
Yes, it's definitely a tool made by CTA (says "CTA MFG CORP CARLSTADT, NJ" on the back side and has the CTA logo on the side pictured). I did browse their site briefly and didn't find it, but I didn't check the entire site. Just really curious as to what the hell is used for! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Thread began in July 2014, Toolbox joined November 2014. Case closed, court adjourned.

·
Super Moderator
10,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have to make sure Todd does not file an appeal on his behalf. (I hear he does pro bono work)
30 days is ticking.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Powerprobe 3 master combo kit. One of those very expensive tools that you stare at every time you open your toolbox and ask what you were thinking when you bought it. That is until you use it then you wonder how you ever managed without it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts