Impala Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whats the current situation?

Faron refers to "other thread" --- where is that?

Just joined this forum. Wondering what has happened concerning problems with 2008 Chevrolet Impala Rear Spindle Rods, Wheel Alignment & Tire Wear and the 2011 class action lawsuit complaint.
Have an 08 Impala purchased used in Dec 2010 with 24,000 miles. Soon after, I learned about the Rear Spindle Rods, Wheel Alignment & Tire Wear issue.
Has there been a recall concerning this issue? Has there been a settlement?
Bought vehicle at Carmax, which put on new tires. I have had alignments and need to get new tires now & realign.
Are GM dealers supposed to provide any repairs or replacement of spindle rods?
Would I NOT be in Chevy's system of notification of owners, due to my purchase of the car used.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
No recall has been issued, only a tsb for police models. I'm not sure what the other thread was, that was awhile ago. But since he only has 83 posts, it wouldn't take long to find it.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Impala TSB's...

The relevant TSB's are discussed & noted in the early posts on this thread.

My '08 LTZ was still in the CPO-Warranty period when I got my 2 new Michelins, rear-bolt holes ground-out, & re-alignment done.

Faron

·
Registered
1 Posts
07 sindle rod issue

do any of you think, that if i replaced. The rear fixed spindle road with an ajustable. That. The car can be aligned to cure the tire wear issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been a while now-

Has anyone been able to benefit at all from this info.??
Or...at least get yours fixed?

Faron
Was at the dealership today with my car and tread wear from 3,000 miles driven on new goodyears. they have to keep my car from monday to tuesday cuz gm isnt open on weekends, they need verification that they can fix the issue from gm corporate, and I tried to explain that GM corp is not taking responsibility for this issue with the non-police cars, but they agreed to get my new tires and do the aligment, but that will only help for so long, so ill wait and see and update on tuesday! wish me luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was at the dealership today with my car and tread wear from 3,000 miles driven on new goodyears. they have to keep my car from monday to tuesday cuz gm isnt open on weekends, they need verification that they can fix the issue from gm corporate, and I tried to explain that GM corp is not taking responsibility for this issue with the non-police cars, but they agreed to get my new tires and do the aligment, but that will only help for so long, so ill wait and see and update on tuesday! wish me luck!
Has anyone had any luck with the TSB's on the spindle issue

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just replaced a Spindle Rod when my old one broke for no apparent reason...

I had no idea there was a TSB for this.. :bang:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Can this be sufficiently adjusted to correct the camber with the BMR lateral arms or do we still need camber bolts?

·
Registered
76 Posts
hmmmm.... was this not a problem on the 06 models with the VIN code WS? (9c1 & 9c3)

Just wondering as I recently got one....have to watch the wear on the rear tires I guess

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the problem with my 07 Impala where the rear tires were wearing unevenly and the car was terrible in snow and wet conditions. I had searched for 2 years to find the solution. I had alignments and I put winter tires on and nothing worked for the snow driving. Finally after many calls to the dealership they finally owned up to the problem.

Replacing the spindle rods was not necessary, it turns out they can do a modification the strut mounts to make the holes bigger, then get the car in proper alignment. The way the car was designed didn't leave enough room for adjustment apparently.

Hope this helps someone because now that I got it fixed I'm very happy with the way my car handles snow now.
I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I was just curious to where exactly they grinded on the strut mounts to allow for proper alignment? Thanks for your help. I just got this car and want to make sure my wheels last as long as they can.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would also like that info if any one is still listening lol. I was told that there is no adjustment for rear by the place I did an alignment. They told me if I was worried about the rear just get some struts put in.

·
Super Moderator
12,432 Posts
If I'm understanding the problem/question correctly, there are special bolts that they can use to alter the rear end alignment. When you turn them, it alters the alignment. I can't think of the proper name right now though - but f you do some searching on the forum, I'm sure you can find it. Camber alignment bolts? Something like that...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Moog makes eccentric lower strut mount bolts. They're called Cam bolts.

Front & Rear - Moog K90474 -1.75° to +1.75° camber adjustment.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The front camber is not adjustable from the factory either... You would need 4 bolts total, one at each strut to knuckle mount. This will allow camber adjustment at all 4 corners. Do yourself a favor and buy these bolts and install them yourself. A shop will beat you up on parts and labor for this, in addition to the alignment cost.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts