Impala Forums banner

41 - 60 of 279 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
I know what it is, is the Hood Scoop but you don't got to tell us ;) By the way HID is looking good :eek:k3:
That was my second guess :lol:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I know what it is, is the Hood Scoop but you don't got to tell us ;) By the way HID is looking good :eek:k3:
That was my second guess :lol:
Yes, it IS going to be the hood scoop. I wanted to wait to reveal which one I was getting until I bought it so I made sure I got one. I have horrific luck when it comes to getting stuff like certain parts and they either being out of stock or discontinued before I can actually get one.

But HERE is the one I'm getting, and the only one that would look right on these cars IMHO. Not to mention, the cheaper yet still good looking alternative to the $800 hood... Granted, it's shown on a Monte SS, but it gives you the idea since the Impala nose and hood is the same...

:dizzy: A lil' birdie told me it might be fender vents... :cool:
No way you better not :bang:
Nope. And it'd have to be the right set of fender vents before I even consider it. The last thing I was thinking of putting fender vents on was the '92 Typhoon I had. I was looking at taking a set of the 6.6L Trans Am fender scoops and doing them on the very front of the Ty's fenders, but I didn't have the truck long enough to accomplish that goal.

And besides, the ONLY thing I got slated for going on the fenders - IF I can find the right ones of course - is a set of badges/emblems that say "LS4 5.3L V8". I found a set for the LS3 in the style I want, but they don't have and can't do them in the LS4 yet. I even emailed the place that EJ posted for getting the SS badge overlays, and they said they couldn't do them either.

But since the scoop will be going on it, I'll have to see if I want something like that on the side of the scoop, or on the fenders. But I'll post pics of it when I get it and when I get it on the car.

On a side note: I noticed something last night with the damn HID's. I had tried seating them in the headlight assembly differently (locking them in the headlight by spinning the bulbs) to see if that was the issue, and it wasn't... But what I DID notice and it kinda surprises me, is that they shake/bounce when the car isn't even on and running. And when I looked at them, the bulbs themselves don't move, but it seems that whatever is making them jump/bounce is coming from inside the bulb or coming from the ballasts. I'm going to contact the place I got them from and have them give me another set since they have a 6 month warranty.

So can anyone tell me if I need to install the white plastic ring that comes on the bulbs when I lock them into the headlight assembly? It seems it wouldn't hurt, because the bulbs seem a little loose in the headlight assembly when mounted like the normal halogen bulbs are. Not loose to the point where they're ready to fall out, but loose enough that they don't sit in there snug like they should be...

·
Cucky
662 Posts
its gonna sound crazy, but I think its just your bulbs breaking in. I had that going on when I got new bulbs for my HID's but it ended up going away after a while. Are you going to try to make your hood scoop functional or what? I like it btw

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
:beer:
its gonna sound crazy, but I think its just your bulbs breaking in. I had that going on when I got new bulbs for my HID's but it ended up going away after a while. Are you going to try to make your hood scoop functional or what? I like it btw
As far as making the scoop functional, nah. I'm not comfortable with trying to cut a hole in the hood to make it work. Besides, I'd spend the $800 for the actual hood if I wanted a functional one. But after seeing what can happen - water getting into the intake and blowing a motor - I'm all set. But thanks, I apperciate it!

For the HID's, did you wind up putting the plastic ring that was on the lights in when you installed them? Or did you install them just the same as a halogen bulb with just the rubber seal? I'm curious and have been trying to figure out if I need that ring or not to make and keep them more snug in the headlight themselves.

Also, did your HID's wind up going bright, and have/actually see the color difference? I ask because when they jump, I notice that it's like they aren't getting to temperature like they should as I can see the color change slightly - like it'll initially get to temp, and seems to slightly drop and constantly go up and down, get to temp and not, which is from what I can see contributing to the jumping/bouncing... Is that what you noticed with yours?

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
I haven't noticed any of this with mine. If you aren't running a relay harness, that should be your first step. Try using the plastic rings to see if they help.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would say, unless the lights aren't snug fit in there you need a relay kit. If do it when they are "jumping" the color is changing it is probably bulb flicker....

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I haven't noticed any of this with mine. If you aren't running a relay harness, that should be your first step. Try using the plastic rings to see if they help.
I would say, unless the lights aren't snug fit in there you need a relay kit. If do it when they are "jumping" the color is changing it is probably bulb flicker....
I'll try the plastic rings and see if that helps when the replacement bulb sets show up.

As for a relay harness, this is a first I've heard of it. Is this why I'm experiencing the HID's staying on when I use or flash the high beams???

And regarding bulb flicker, is it possibly bad bulbs? Bad connection? Or is it a lack of a relay harness?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Flicker = relay harness

·
Cucky
662 Posts
flicker has nothing to do with relay. I dont use a relay and my lights work perfectly fine now. You have to give your bulbs time to break in. Give it a week or two. Make sure you pulled your DRL fuses and no I didn't use the little rubber circle things. I just put the bulbs in, same as I would with halogens. Another thing, the low beams (HID's) stay on when you use your high beams.

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Actually, flicker has everything to do with the relay harness, especially if you're running 55w. The stock wiring isn't built to handle that kind of draw, but the wiring in the relay harness is. When the ballast gets insufficient power, it will cause bulb flicker, failure to fire (have to turn bulbs on & off multiple times to get them to fire) and eventually, failure of the ballast.

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
I've been working with hids for 4 years. You can run ballasts without a relay harness without problems, but a lot of electrical systems can't handle it. There is no break in period for the bulbs, only the warm-up period every time you turn them on.

Get a relay harness. I'll bet that it will solve your problem.

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hmmm. Kinda makes sense about the relay harness. I'm surprised that this happens even wwith a 35W system.

The thing that kinda concerns me with said harness is that it only connects to one of the two stock headlight connectors??? Why only one connector, is that basically the switched contact input for the relay to draw juice from the battery instead?

Either way, the $10 for this harness is easy and I obviously need one. I'll try and order one tonite and keep you guys posted. Thanks Ryd Slo and everyone!

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
Hmmm. Kinda makes sense about the relay harness. I'm surprised that this happens even wwith a 35W system.

The thing that kinda concerns me with said harness is that it only connects to one of the two stock headlight connectors??? Why only one connector, is that basically the switched contact input for the relay to draw juice from the battery instead?
Yup, thats exactly it! And yeah it can happen with 35w kits. I blew a foglight ballast today actually, so i'll have to get a relay harness too :lol:

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yup, thats exactly it! And yeah it can happen with 35w kits. I blew a foglight ballast today actually, so i'll have to get a relay harness too :lol:
Well, it makes sense for me to get 2 of them, especially since I'm planning on doing them for the fog lights also. And sucks to hear about blowing the ballast, how long have you had them?

·
Go Get It
15,048 Posts
I've had them since October I believe and this is the second ballast I've blown (both fog lights). Good thing I have a lifetime warranty :eek:k3:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hids are tricky. My 07 imp Lt I had problems with only one side firing up ....but in my 07 ss I've had ddm tuning fogs and lows and never had a misfire or any problems..never used a relay in either vehicles

41 - 60 of 279 Posts