Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I think I've found my section of this forum!
I wish to take my 5.0 1992 Caprice from stock a bit modified. It will be my kid hauler, but also my race car hauler.
My buddy did a quick drawing for me. What do ya think?

Attachments

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Looks good

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
A fair number of LT1 sedan owners endup setting up LT1 wagons as tow rigs. Your TBI 305 wont make the HP the LT1 does but towing isn't about HP anyway. How heavy is the loaded trailer?

Far as your signature, I REALLY wish someone still made a decent wagon, after rotting out a few wagons in the wisconsin winters I gave up and drive a crewcab truck.
Not willing to buy a southern car and destroy it in a couple winters here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the 305 for the torque ;) My car/trailer is less than 3k pounds. VWs don't weigh much!
As to the wagons... I have the Caprice and 4 VW wagons. Plus 3 VW notchbacks, 1 VW fastback and a GL1000. Crap, when I list them, I realize I have a lot of crap!

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
Yeah that is nice and lite.

The most radically gutted 90s b-body sedan I know of that still has a stock frame is I think over 3400lbs with a skinny driver, most of the dedicated racecar ones are still in the 36-3700lbs range without driver.

So if the chassis can handle towing those you might have to keep looking in the mirror to make sure your car is still back there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My race car is a 2000lbs VW Notchback, not a Caprice. I did weigh the wagon today and it was 4520lbs with 1/2 tank of fuel. That is more than 2x the weight of my VW wagons!

·
Registered
624 Posts
with all that towing may want to look into changing the gears in the rear to 342's or 373's that will add some zip to the whale,but of course theres many things youll need to do, like changing the reluctor for the abs to work correctly,changing the speedo gear in the tranny,some say u need to rebalance the drive shaft (373's) or maybe adding a tru track limit slip posi unit etc,add a tranny cooler.... and never tow in over drive

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The transcooler will happen. I have 4 mountains to cross to get to the track 90 miles away. I used to tow with a 4.3 auto... No OD is very familiar.
I find it interesting that my wagon gets better MPG than my s-10 did!

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
I understood that the VW was tiny compared to the Caprices other guys tow. I was just saying if wagons can handle a Caprice on a trailer behind them your little VW will be a breeze even if you only have the 305.

Look for the SPID label and tell us the codes it has that start with "G" and we should be able to tell you if you have posi and what gears.

The LT1 cars with the "tow package" which was pretty much a mechanical fan got a 5000lbs rating with 2.93 gears and posi, the guys that tow sedans behind them I think all go to 3.42-3.73.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New day, new adventure... Spent the morning figuring out how to pull the dash apart just to get to the radio. GRRRRR! You have to pull the entire dash front apart. STUPID! So, then I get the new radio adaptor put together, and find out that the wiring adaptor is the wrong one. BTW, I hate wiring and now I get to put wires together and make sure I don't screw up...
Any how, hopefully I'll find the right adaptor and get the dash back together today.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything is buttoned up, but this POC antenna is going to be the death of me. I tried to find any issues with it (no reception with the old radio) and couldn't find anything. Installed the new radio and wha-la! I have 1 FM station and no AM stations... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Were all Caprice aerial antennas this bad? At least I can listen to CDs and my MP3 though it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mine only has the stationary unit and it is awful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Couldn't handle the grandpa grill anymore, so I just ordered an SS grill. Next up are rear shocks... next month maybe I can find some wheels for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
On the shocks what did you order? The wagons you need to get a shock with enough drop to clear the skirts for tire changes and in my experience anything "inexpensive" will not last long.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was going to order the KYB's, but perhaps I will get the Monroe SS units.

Hey, what do you guys thing of this 15" wheel for the car?

·
Super Moderator
3,933 Posts
KYB generally gets bad reviews for THIS CAR I know they are very well liked on some other vehicles. The Monroe SS shocks are my second choice, I like them driving wise as well as Bilsteins BUT they don't last as long

1 - 20 of 83 Posts