Impala Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Very nice find there Matt! Hope you enjoy the thing but don't break it, LOL.

Have you ever driven a 4x4 in the winter? If not learn up on how to drive it before the next snow fall. You may find that you need some weight in the back to help get traction during the snow/ice days.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks everyone! I dropped it off tonight at a local family owned shop. They're gonna drop the plow mount and run through the entire truck and see what needs to be replaced or repaired. Kinda scared for the bill, but I'm going to start with what's required first. I know it needs new ball joints and possibly tierods and an alignment. Those aren't too bad, but I'm hoping nothing else will show up too major. Not expecting it to since it runs and sounds fine. Who knows...all part of the gamble. Plan to keep it awhile, so I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Kenny, good advice! I'll probably have to sandbag it come Fall. Will definitely be very careful when learning the ropes.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Alright here's the update:

-$200 for the tie rods (Had it done today)

-$1-200 plow mount removal (Monday)

-$8-900ish Ball joints/U-joints (Waiting a couple weeks til next paycheck)

-$Unkn for engine tune up. It's running a little "off" and he said that he's going to scan it, it's a 350 tbi. Scan will be Monday, we will see what pops up. He said it doesn't seem like anything too major. It runs OK, but not ideal...better idea post-scan.

I mentioned that I picked it up for $3900 after he had run through it all and his jaw dropped. He said that it was in great shape and really clean all around, so that was good. Not looking forward to the bill over the next few weeks, though. I'd rather be safe than sorry, as I said, though.

·
Go Get It
15,059 Posts
Not too bad for a 30 year old truck

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No, it's not too bad. Just more than I wanted to spend...plus the $345 for the registration fees. :( Oh well, I want her to be reliable and good to go. Will keep everyone updated!

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just a quick update:

Waiting to do the plow, but as I noted the engine was getting scanned. Well, he got to it today and the guy who dropped the 350 tbi in it didn't put an O2 sensor, so the truck was running like crap. -_- Anyways, the mechanic is putting one in. Gonna be about $200ish to do it. He said he's not 100% sure that will be the complete fix, but it's definitely step 1. As far as I've read, the issues that presented seem consistent with the lacking O2 sensor, so hopefully that's the extent. I know the EGR valve can get screwy on these, too, though. We shall see, here's to hoping the sensor is the solution to the rough running!

Will keep everyone posted this afternoon as I learn more.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Beast is back...for the time being!

Took care of the tie rods and ran the O2 sensor. Already runs like a different truck! Some more fine tuning of the engine and the $1000 of suspension work left til it should be running like new. Will post a pic or two later tonight. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
7-30-15 Update:

I was steered away from getting a Range Rover because it would be in the shop all the time. Shockingly, this is every two weeks. :lol:

Couple weeks ago I knocked out a HUGE project:

-New upper/lower ball joints
-New U-joints
-New Inner Seals
-New transmission cooler lines
-New front disk brakes

= $1500 :yikes:

Today I dropped her off for:

-Two new 20 gallon tanks, sending units, fuel switch valve, tubes and to hopefully solve the engine issue. Runs fine, but horrible gas mileage/lag. May be a vac line or EGR issue, both common on these TBIs. I just don't have the time and tools for it unfortunately.

Here's a pic of her washed the other day. Should be winding down the projects $3k later. :lol:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Trust me this one won't end up in the shop as often as a Range Rover will! I hate those vehicles. Even in many of the movies and documentaries about Africa seems that the Land Rovers always break down. I think the Willis Jeep was a much more dependable vehicle than LR/RR vehicles.

Once you get all the much needed TLC done to this truck it will serve you well for a good while.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Agreed! It's just been tough to drive it for a week or two then have it in the shop because I really want to play around with it, but it's not quite mechanically ready to do that. Hopefully before I go back to school in a couple weeks it will be!

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Alright, so been waiting t update til there was some progress.

So I ended up needing to replace all the fuel lines and went stainless. InlineTube was pretty good. They used rubber on some connections that should really be stainless, most notably the connection above my exhaust. Installing a metal plate to defer heat away from the rubber connection. The bends and fittings are TIGHT, no wiggle room. Took a little persuasion.

Anyhow, the brackets rotted out so now I can only install my passenger side tank for now. I'm heading out of town with the truck in a few days, so next time I'm in town I'll have the brackets ready to install the driver side tank. So it's progress lol

Also, for anyone interested/who goes from 16s to 20s on the tanks, here is the rubber elbow I used for the filler neck:

And the fuel lines:

inline-tube

I got the FI lines since I have a 350 TBI installed.

·
Super Moderator
10,949 Posts
Buddy of mine has the same truck in 2WD ( GMC) Idled like POS and got horrible mileage. Started messing with it and pulled the EGR off. Found giant chunks of carbon in the holes and one piece stuck under the pintle of the valve itself. Got a small screw driver and chipped away as much of the carbon as I could and used a shop vac to get it out. Ran stellar for about a week and did the same thing again. Ended up taking the the intake off and really clearing it out. TONS of carbon,,,,,,,,,,,,tons. Chipped it all out and put back on with new valve. Runs much MUCH better now and fuel mileage increased, although, is still not all that great, his 13 Ram 5.7 does better although his 12 Envoy is about the same as the old pick up.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I hope some more rust proofing is in order after your repairs and TLC is caught up. That is way more rust than I like to see on a older vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I hope some more rust proofing is in order after your repairs and TLC is caught up. That is way more rust than I like to see on a older vehicle.
Yeah, I won't be driving it in the winters for starters, but it really isn't that bad. It's mostly surface rust and when I edited the shadowing on the pics it looks a lot more pronounced. :beer:

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hood cable still seems a little loose, but the list is getting as long as it does "shorter" with new things popping up.

One of the bolts on my Lund visor flew off on the hwy, so I bought a new one with some Loctite and will be resealing the whole thing. Should be fun!

I did manage to replace my parking lights yesterday with some new Depo housings. I did the low beams with new Wagners a few weeks ago which was a nice improvement. Looks worlds better. A little hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like new. (And yes, one of my parking lights is out...I didn't notice til I tested the new housings. lol)

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Been awhile since I updated, so here's some highlights:

1. Fixed the visor...one of the bolts was shot into the weatherstrip, not the A pillar. Fixed it and now it's tight.

2. Bought a new Optima Yellow Top and installed it today.

3. New wipers installed soon.

4. Still only have one tank on. Straps are being blasted/painted as a favor and my uncle had a back problem that delayed the work.

5. Toyed with the hood release and got it to work right as rain again.

6. Wire brushing the frame a bit and it's cleaning up pretty well.

7. My antenna snapped and the bolt sheared off in the base. Found a base through a member on GMSquare forum. $7 shipped. It's in the mail and will hopefully be installed soon.

Next big project will hopefully be finishing the tank install and possibly removing the plow mount. Found someone in town who may do it pretty cheap. Need to get a quote. If it's <$50 I'll do it, cause that plow mount is waiting to ram something I don't mean to. :lol:

Here's a pic from today working under the hood.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 68 Posts