Impala Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
the looks of the Aztek are better left in the past... let's not bring that misery back again...LOL, they have had hits and misses with the looks of their cars but this thing is a train wreck for the appearance category. the shatterproof windows were a gimmick and were hilarious to watch it fail because they got caught in the act on that one.

I know electric or some other alternative fuels are the way going forward but currently, I cannot give up my 2016 5.3 Silverado. the V8 and the noises it makes with a carven cat-back are way too much fun LOL. until they get a recharge network in place that can compete with gas stations reasonably there's no way I could commit to an electric car. plus I want an honest answer on how much it really costs for a long-distance commuter (200 miles or more per week) to charge their car for a month at home.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
On the charging, my local electrical rate is $.14kwh.
In theory my car uses 290wh/m (watt hours per mile) it also does use some power while parked, and is a 5yo performance model newer stuff is a fair bit more efficient but let's stick with what I know.

If you round way up on that 290wh/m to account for the consumption while parked and for inefficient driving we will use 333wh/m, that is 3 miles per KWH so let's round that up to a nickle a mile. Double check my math but with all the rounding up I have done that makes it about equal to gasoline in a 45mpg car at $2.25 per gallon.

Now I did not account for winter heat or charging losses, 10% is usually used for calculations though 8% is often measured, so let's just go wild and round all the way up to 500wh/m, and call it 2 miles KWH or $.07 a mile. That means using my very aggressively rounded up numbers assuming a COLD climate like mine and short trips causing lots of cabin heating it is equal to 37mpg, and the newer cars are a lot more efficient. The battery sizes are not truly accurate but for comparison my 85kw battery car was rated 265miles, the current 100kw battery S is rated for 370miles, that is a small battery upgrade but a lot of range upgrade and it is AWD. The Model 3 being smaller is a lot more efficient too rated is like 220wh/m compared to the 290 for my car.

Some states are charging more to register EVs due to not paying fuel taxes which is reasonable. I think my car is like $130more a year to register vs. my wife's which will eat into fuel savings.

I am definitely saving on fuel vs. my SS which was 17.6mpg on premium of vs. my truck which is even worse but on regular. Short commute mpg sucks.

While trying to find numbers I stumbled on this.
https://insideevs.com/news/347918/tesla-model-s-long-range-epa-rating/

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
the looks of the Aztek are better left in the past... let's not bring that misery back again...LOL...
My buddy had a Pontiac dealership which he fortunately sold not long before the melt down. He and I decided Pontiac had misspelled Aztek, that it was really supposed to be Asstick :)

The best we could do for the Buick version was Runandpoo :)

Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
Co-worker has a Model 3 and puts on nearly 3 times as many miles as I do, she and her husband are engineers, he in particular stresses over numbers. When compared to her previous Volvo wagon which was just a few years old they are saving $300 a month.

An S wont save nearly as much and a X probably isn't any cheaper than a mid-20mpg vehicle

·
Registered
131 Posts
So what everyone is saying is the Aztek was way ahead of its time? Sadly, I bet that the Aztek will have higher sales numbers than Cyber Truck when it's released.

What I really would like to see is how the Cyber Truck does achieving its SAE J2807 tow rating. Does it get to re-charge during testing or will it have to perform the test on a single charge?

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
So what everyone is saying is the Aztek was way ahead of its time? Sadly, I bet that the Aztek will have higher sales numbers than Cyber Truck when it's released.

What I really would like to see is how the Cyber Truck does achieving its SAE J2807 tow rating. Does it get to re-charge during testing or will it have to perform the test on a single charge?
Drop the irrational blind hate and get a clue.
Cybertruck had more $100 deposits in 48hours than the Aztec had total sales......
Yes some of those will be cancelled along the way but more will be placed.

To those asking about cost to drive.
Here is a pic of my energy use, you can add 10% to these numbers to account for charging inefficiency, then add some more for consumption while parked, bottom line my saying 2miles per $.14kwh is way worse energy use than reality.
The high use for the last 10 miles is 6.5 miles to work, then a brief lunch trip, short trips lead to cabin heating working hard.

·
Super Moderator
18,443 Posts
21 - 29 of 29 Posts