Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how about that new Tesla truck eh? Personally, the vehicle specs are nice, but I am not thrilled with the Pontiac Aztek look of it (no I do not think it will "grow" on me).
I will just duck out of the way and wait for the mudslinging from both sides to begin.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Have not seen the specs for it, but doubt it could do what I need my truck to do.

Beside that imo it is just plain ugly and does not look like a truck.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
The $70K version is supposed to go 500miles and 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.......
When I saw it though I said "stock is going down tomorrow" and it did 6%.

Only thing a normal truck does this wont will be fuel up for another 200miles of towing in 5 minutes. This will tow wonderfully but it will not be convenient for towing a camper across states.

Keeping in mind my Tesla is 5 years and 92K miles old and I still have the remains of a mid 11 second Caprice in my garage.

My 2014 Model S has all the torque and response I ever wanted from a V8. LS3 Chevy SS was an unresponsive turd by comparison, heavily modified 90s LT1 made more power but compromised manners.

The let's be polite and say the "goofy" body of the Tesla truck will keep it a niche product and for long range towing electric isn't going to touch gas/diesel for a long time, but this will be a decent truck for most people's use that it we are honest doesn't require towing hundreds of miles at a crack.

I suspect the 500mile range will be 230-250 useable with a camper, now if that gets you to a destination with 50amp RV plug you can charge up there. The supercharger network as is is almost entirely back in stalls which would mean disconnecting the trailer, that will be unpopular. Maybe they begin building drive thru stall on major corridors.

I will also say Musk is a loose cannon, I expect the price to creep up, the delivery dates to creep out and the aesthetics to be toned down.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Sure is ugly - but I will say this - the "sledge hammer to door" test was impressive - and EVERYONE is talking about this truck - mostly badly, but still - it definitely has caught peoples attention. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Touting a 14k towing capacity, would be very curious how that "truck" would handle on the road in real life with that kind of load, and just how far it would really be capable of going. If the "bulletproof glass" was any indication of expectations, I would not tend to think the real life specs would come anywhere close to what tesla is suggesting.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Touting a 14k towing capacity, would be very curious how that "truck" would handle on the road in real life with that kind of load, and just how far it would really be capable of going.
Reading the F150 forums, those trucks, equipped properly, have similar ratings. But most folks there say those numbers are fully maxed out - not something you really want to do on cross country trips, where a 1-ton/dualie is really the better option for a 14k load.

In the case of the electric tow vehicle, the range is going to be pretty short. Where many travelers routinely put in 700+ miles per day, electric cars are only about half that, which isn't a deal breaker...if you can find activities and sights at 300-400 mile intervals. (For example, with an electric car, start in Indianapolis, go to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. Next day, see Rock City in East Tennessee. Next day, see the aircraft carrier Yorktown in Charleston, SC. Next day, get to your destination in Daytona. (Not that that's the straightest path from Indy to Daytona :) )

Anyway, with the truck, pulling any sort of appreciable load will surely take a huge chunk out of the range between charges. I'd expect maybe it would be down to 150-200 miles per charge.

For many vacations, folks will spend a day or 2 getting there, then spend most of a week there, then another day and a half getting back home. But with an electric truck pulling a camper, I'm thinking you'd be spending much of that trip in a different venue each day going, then turn around, and do the same thing coming back.

I'm not saying it's bad, just that a different mind-set is required. But if it takes me 4 days to get to Disney World and I spend 2 days there, then another 4 days going home, where each day on the road is a mini-vacation of sorts, I can still enjoy that. I just have to reprogram myself for shorter hops :)

Back to 14k, I can't see taking a load like that very far in this truck.

Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
The range is going to be probably cut in half with a non-aerodynamic trailer.
Pulling power wont be any issue at all electric is peak torque from zero. In the case of the top of the line version of this massive torque readily available. Electric power is so instant, no waiting for the throttle to open, air to start moving, transmission to downshift.

I think there is some benefit to slowing down and enjoying a journey, but still don't think this will be ideal as an interstate camper hauler. Really though how many pickup owners do that? Certainly some but it is a tiny minority.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Pulling power wont be any issue at all electric is peak torque from zero.
So you skipped physics and don't have an understanding of what the coefficient of friction equates too?

The Tesla truck demo is a farse at best. It is marketed at the ignorant and wealthy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
electric is peak torque from zero
Electric peak torque from 0 = 0. Spoiler alert, its the same for gas or diesel-powered vehicle.

Owning a Tesla doesn't mean you get to ignore physics.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So to anyone who understands physics, does a 300,000lb towing capacity sound reasonable? Hints: sin0= 0, cos0= 1, tan0= 0

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
So you skipped physics and don't have an understanding of what the coefficient of friction equates too?

The Tesla truck demo is a farse at best. It is marketed at the ignorant and wealthy.
The tug-o-war with the F-150 was stupid but good marketing which they needed after the window fiasco, and the armor windows was a dumb idea anyway.

If you read a bit further up my last car was LS3 powered, as in 6.2l LS based V8, that had 4.02 first gear and 3.29 rearend gear. Torque response out of that was a snooze compared to my current P85.

On the torque, yeah I could say peak torque from 1rpm:rolleyes: and the model I have maintain that full 440tq till 43mph and then plateaus at 416hp to 72mph at which point it begins to taper off. It is a power curve combustion engines can't match

On the cost, Tesla prices have come way down, this truck full bells and whistles is going to cost what a well equipped gas truck does and less than a diesel.

On the cost thing, don't be so bitter because others can afford something you can't. 9 years ago I had to get rid of a $1200 2 years earlier station wagon because the floor rotted to the point I was concerned about the passenger seat falling out. I replaced it with a $500 wagon with a blown tranny which I fixed by parting out the rotten car. Never know how life will work out.

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/electrical-motors-hp-torque-rpm-d_1503.html

Are you very young?

Yes electric motors make peak torque from zero. Taken from the above link right below the graph depicting the same.

"Note! - the full torque from zero speed is a major advantage for electric vehicles."

The motor in my P85 makes 440tq from 0-5100rpm(about 43mph) 416hp from 5000-8600rpm(72mph) with a peak rpm of I think 15,000 has a single speed 9.7:1 gearbox which is hard coupled to the motor, no clutch or any way to disengage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
And with all of that knowledge, you still haven't figured out that you don't have full torque at 0/1 because you wouldn't have any traction. Tesla does a very good job of maximizing traction by reducing torque output, not by applying it as you describe. I think you are confusing the motor specs with what really is being done.

·
Super Moderator
18,443 Posts
My only 2c is....It looks like the Volkswagon Thing and a Pontiac Aztec got together and had a kid.....yak!

·
Super Moderator
3,915 Posts
And with all of that knowledge, you still haven't figured out that you don't have full torque at 0/1 because you wouldn't have any traction. Tesla does a very good job of maximizing traction by reducing torque output, not by applying it as you describe. I think you are confusing the motor specs with what really is being done.
So it is a bad thing that the tires are the limit?

You are just trying to save face now.

If you want to split that hair what are your thoughts on how combustion engines can't apply peak torque at get a load moving? Well I suppose they could if you gave it a high stall converter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So it is a bad thing that the tires are the limit?
Not quite sure if its good or bad, but every major automotive system's primary function is to maximize traction. Unless you are setting up a drift car. :)

Combustion engines have to convert linear motion to rotational energy. The whole process of adding gas, convert linear to rotation is much less efficient than simply applying current to overcome inertia. By increasing the stall speed you can quickly lose traction.

·
Super Moderator
18,443 Posts
I don't care about inertia, linear or rotational anything. Its butt uuuuugly. That is the concept vehicle, right? :eek:

Please tell me it's concept......:crying

1 - 20 of 29 Posts