Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'm tired of this electric carburetor on my car and I am ready for a little bit of a upgrade. I'm taking my TBI system off the car and am wanting to change it to the TPI system. I already have the TPI intake assembly but I'm minus the fuel rails fuel injectors, wiring harness and the computer for it. I need info on what to get and how to do the swap.

Thank you for any contributions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya it looks like its going to be a good build, but I was needing more info on the intake system swap. Also needing to know more about what I would need to get for the swap as for parts list.

·
Registered
624 Posts
try lakeeffect , iirc theres a issue with the angle on the tpi intake is a few degrees different than say the tbi manifold so it wont seal on the heads correctly but i could b mistakin but a question that needs to be asked, and the the distribitor issue

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Depending on your budget, there are a number of other options. One being an aftermarket TPI setup, I think they run in the 1300-1500 range. Another option: a friend of mine has an 84 monte carlo that he upgraded, he found a complete powertrain from a 95 (I think) F1 firebird and dropped it in. The computer had to be reprogrammed, but other than that it went without a hitch. Granted, he had the installation done by a shop, which was around 2k, but if you have to ability you could save some bucks on that part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All you have is the manifold? Correct?
It would cost you more to get the rest of the items to do this swap than to buy a aftermarket FI Kit. Unless you can find a complete TPI car to get all the associated parts and pieces for it. Fuel rails, wiring harness, injectors, air intake duct, ECU, mass air flow meter (early model TPI), fuel pump (higher pressure than the TBI), sensors, etc..................

Depending how long this car has set up, the injectors and sensors may have to be replaced, that = more $$$$.

Good Luck on this swap!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
try lakeeffect , iirc theres a issue with the angle on the tpi intake is a few degrees different than say the tbi manifold so it wont seal on the heads correctly but i could b mistakin but a question that needs to be asked, and the the distribitor issue
the tpi base came in both styles for the old style heads and the 87 up style heads.tpi will work on any style chevy with the correct base i have tpi on a vortec 350 in my firebird.tuned port injection will cost you a fortune and in the end wont be worth it.i am in so much money.and also good luck getting your dist. in on a tpi caprice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Although rare visits, I am on this forum now s well. Just found it. Easier to catch ne at the GM longroof forum.

Shammoo has been running for several years with TPI's 400 block, although EVERYTHING is highly modified to get it to about 450 horsepower but gobs of torque!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts