Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short intro: my name is Penelope. Hi. I'm more of a mechanic than my bf, but still lack alot of knowledge. Unfortunately, I have been unable to leave the house for months and so haven't driven the cars to keep up with how they are running.

So, we have a 2009 Impala that my bf claims the front left tire would make a grinding noise when he made a sharp turn to exit the parking spot.... just that tire. I asked him to make a sharp right to see what happened. He says he cant remember doing that last Thursday b4 he took it in. 🙄

Side note: brakes & rotors replaced last fall

During the period of time it had been grinding (a week or 2 maybe?) no light code came on the dashboard.

Against my protests to take it to my trusted hometown mechanic, he insisted on taking it to a big company.

There, they replaced the hub assembly.

About an hour after leaving, my bf said the ABS light turned on and he could feel the ABS periodically kick in. (Neither was happening prior to hub assembly replacement)

He returned Monday and was told the ABS harness was faulty. (Did they put it on wrong when they changed assembly?)

My bf brought car home Monday. He didnt drive it again until today (Thursday) He said its still grinding.

I asked him if the car was still grinding during the entire time when repairs were being made? He said he didnt know. sigh

Hes not very good at noticing if the steering wheel is vibrating or if the car is pulling to the side so I am not sure if it could be a bad wheel-bearing.

It seems the company has not fixed the problem and, instead, made it worse and charged us hundreds of dollars.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on with the car and how we should proceed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Sounds like the hub/bearing/ABS cartridge they installed may be bad out of the box or they did a darn poor job of installation.

The ABS sensor wires running along the A frame can break. It's common. The pigtail (harness) is a $20 part with two wires that can be soldered or crimped to the vehicle harness and covered with heatshrink.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts