Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's, 2 month's after changing my T-Stat it's leaking at the seam between the housing & WP. I assumed that with that gasket around the T-Stat that no other gasket or sealant was called for as there wasn't anything to clean-up when I took it off. Anyway I have to get in there and was wondering if anyone has any 'tricks' for a quick and CLEAN way of draining the coolant down just enough to get the housing off so I can see what's going on.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey Guy's, 2 month's after changing my T-Stat it's leaking at the seam between the housing & WP. I assumed that with that gasket around the T-Stat that no other gasket or sealant was called for as there wasn't anything to clean-up when I took it off. Anyway I have to get in there and was wondering if anyone has any 'tricks' for a quick and CLEAN way of draining the coolant down just enough to get the housing off so I can see what's going on.

Thanks in advance !
The quick way would be to just pop off a hose. That will take the level down enough to get the housing off with minimal mess. The clean way would be to drain from the bottom of the radiator using the little brass thumb screw thingy. But once you get the thermostat out the coolant level will rise out of your intake a little anyway, so you're going to have to have some rinsing/cleanup time anyway. Good luck Gregg-o!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's, I don't like the idea of use the pitcock at the bottom of the radiator because I've always had bad luck in the past of them stripping out or never fully closing afterward. I think I'll try pulling a heater hose off with a small bucket under it.

Thank's again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not a problem my friend. I always hated those valves too. That's why I replace them with a pop off valve with a stainless steel cable!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I took it apart, gasket was not ripped, cleaned it all up, put it back together...still leak's...I'm thinking of trying an old gen 1 T-stat housing gasket...this is pissing me off.

On another note, as I was letting it run to start bleeding the system I noticed that the friggin opti was moving a tad back & forth, I shut it down and reach down and my friggin' cap is loose...SOB ! I'l bet I can't get to all the cap screw's with pullin the WP & balancer off...

The 100k mile mark is biting me in the ass.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I saw that you didn't use any sealant as there wasn't any old crap to clean up. In my experience (so take it for what it's worth) is to -always- use some kind of sealant. I never just trust a gasket. Just a small tube of silicone will do the trick.

Well better you find and fix a loose opti now than have it fail on you on the highway, yes yes?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, Got a new gasket...and some permatex WP / T-stat housing sealant, put it together carefully, and let it set overnight, pulled the balancer off in the morning found it wasn't the opti cap that was loose, it was the opti itself. Got that tightened down, got it back together, no leak's...yahoo ! My mid to high RPM miss is also gone....wonder why...LOL.

Thanks for everyone's input.

And for the guy that came up with the idea to put the opti where it is....YOu SIR CAN Kiss My AZZZZZZZZZZz !.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts