Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, anyone tried the signature series Amsoil on the V6 heard some good things about it.

I'm hust worried since it does not have the Dexos 1 logo on the bottle, although it says exceeds dexos 1 specification .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used Amsoil exclusively in my 2012 3.6l Impala Ltz. I also used E85 exclusively. I drove it like I stole it every.single.day! I hit the engine redline multiple times a day. I travel for a living so I had approximately 160,000 miles on it when I got a new to me 2015 ltz. I changed the oil in accordance with the oil life monitor instead of the 20,000 mile interval because E85 breaks the oil down faster. It never used one drop of oil and I never had to work on it. Ran like a top until the day I got rid of it. I was really amazed. Not sure if it was just the oil or a well built engine but I will be running Amsoil in my 2015 as well.:beer:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used Amsoil exclusively in my 2012 3.6l Impala Ltz. I also used E85 exclusively. I drove it like I stole it every.single.day! I hit the engine redline multiple times a day. I travel for a living so I had approximately 160,000 miles on it when I got a new to me 2015 ltz. I changed the oil in accordance with the oil life monitor instead of the 20,000 mile interval because E85 breaks the oil down faster. It never used one drop of oil and I never had to work on it. Ran like a top until the day I got rid of it. I was really amazed. Not sure if it was just the oil or a well built engine but I will be running Amsoil in my 2015 as well.:beer:
i just bought 6 quarts and an oil filter. There is only one thing that i'm concerned about which is the Dexos 1 approval. Didn't see the Dexos logo on the bottle.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
I don't think that means that it's "Dexos-approved" though. They are saying that it meets the specs, but they never got the approval. To me, that is concerning. I understand it costs money, but at the same time, I'd want the certification personally...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think that means that it's "Dexos-approved" though. They are saying that it meets the specs, but they never got the approval. To me, that is concerning. I understand it costs money, but at the same time, I'd want the certification personally...
I don't know what else to tell you then. It obviously meets the standards and would definitely not be denied in a warranty claim. Don't believe it then buy the Dexos. :bang:

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Personally, I'm a supporter of standards like DexOS. The problem is that if a product doesn't carry the official certification and they say that it "meets DexOS specifications", then you don't *really* know if it does or not - you have to take their word for it.

The whole purpose of a certification program like DexOS is that the product must pass a series of tests in order to get that certification. Does this cost money? Sure, it does. Does it increase the cost of the product? Yep. Does it ensure a certain quality level? YES!

Same thing as "Top Tier" gas. Yes, it adds cost, but it ensures a certain level of quality.

If a company is unwilling to obtain the certification, it makes you wonder. Amsoil is already one of the more expensive oils out there - I don't think their customers are buying the oil becuase it's cheap.

Personally, I wouldn't use an oil without the DexOS certification. You could run into hassled with warranty coverage, etc. In the end, they may approve warranty coverage, but you may have to fight them since it's not DexOS certified. I'm not saying the oil is *causing* the issues, but GM may give you a hard time becuase the oil you doesn't carry the DexOS label. It may at least delay warranrty coverage.

People also didn't believe that catch cans can void your warranty either - but they can and have... Right or wrong, it's just the way it is.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to use it or not, just saying why I think standards like DexOS are important and why I would make sure the oil is DexOS approved. Obviously, others are free to do what they wish. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
The whole purpose of a certification program like DexOS is that the product must pass a series of tests in order to get that certification. Does this cost money? Sure, it does. Does it increase the cost of the product? Yep. Does it ensure a certain quality level? YES!
GM does not test oil for certification purposes. The oil company just has to show it meets the spec through various lab document submissions to GM. The Dexos Logo is a licencing deal in which oil companies must pay a licencing fee in order to use the logo on their bottle. GM has had specs for oil for half a century or more that the big oil makers have always met. (Now it has a Name instead of a spec number) Plus the API Rating sets the minimum standards that must be met across the board. Dexos is not a magical formula or anything really special. Most Oil makers already met the spec long before GM called it Dexos or had a licencing program (scam). GM just found another way to generate revenue. If you have a name brand oil with no Dexos label on it and it has the latest API service code on it, it is probably because the oil manufacturer did not want to pay the licencing fee even though it still meets the criteria. Amsoil makes a good product, but they do not sell nearly as much oil as Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil ... and probably found the licencing fee too be too much based upon their sales. Valvoline resisted this for quite a while, but apparently caved in as most all their oil now has Dexos labels on it. Dexos is more about marketing than anything else, it gets people into the dealers more for oil changes. Even most of the lowest price synthetic blends are Dexos approved, and just about all Full Synthetics will exceed it by quite a bit. No-Name oil at Walmart (I think it is called Super Tech) has a Dexos label on it. To me it is less important than the API Service Code on the back of the bottle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally, I'm a supporter of standards like DexOS. The problem is that if a product doesn't carry the official certification and they say that it "meets DexOS specifications", then you don't *really* know if it does or not - you have to take their word for it.

Same thing as "Top Tier" gas. Yes, it adds cost, but it ensures a certain level of quality.

If a company is unwilling to obtain the certification, it makes you wonder. Amsoil is already one of the more expensive oils out there - I don't think their customers are buying the oil becuase it's cheap.

Personally, I wouldn't use an oil without the DexOS certification. You could run into hassled with warranty coverage, etc. In the end, they may approve warranty coverage, but you may have to fight them since it's not DexOS certified. I'm not saying the oil is *causing* the issues, but GM may give you a hard time becuase the oil you doesn't carry the DexOS label. It may at least delay warranrty coverage.

People also didn't believe that catch cans can void your warranty either - but they can and have... Right or wrong, it's just the way it is.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to use it or not, just saying why I think standards like DexOS are important and why I would make sure the oil is DexOS approved. Obviously, others are free to do what they wish. :)
The reason Amsoil doesn't pay the license fee is two fold. It's cost that would be passed on to the customer but most of all it would give GM access to their oil formulations. It is unlawful for GM to deny a warranty claim for not using a dexos licensed oil. Just run dexos if you are scared but please don't spread false information. It will not delay warranty coverage or void it. You mention gasoline. Would it be lawful for GM to say you must use BP gasoline? No, that would be unlawful too. I'm sure Dexos is a fine oil but I am going to rest easy knowing Amsoil is in my engine.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
The reason Amsoil doesn't pay the license fee is two fold. It's cost that would be passed on to the customer but most of all it would give GM access to their oil formulations. It is unlawful for GM to deny a warranty claim for not using a dexos licensed oil. Just run dexos if you are scared but please don't spread false information. It will not delay warranty coverage or void it. You mention gasoline. Would it be lawful for GM to say you must use BP gasoline? No, that would be unlawful too. I'm sure Dexos is a fine oil but I am going to rest easy knowing Amsoil is in my engine.
People said the exact same thing about Catch Cans - the truth is that they can deny warranty coverage for any reason they want (and *have* denied warranty coverage just because a catch can was installed - right or wrong) - and then it's up to *you* to fight them in court. I'm not spreading any misinformation. Even the link that you posted above from the Amsoil site says something to the effect that "if GM gives you warranty hassles have them call us and we'll set them straight"! I'm sure it's happened already.

Some people think DexOS is a scam and others (like me) think it's a good thing. We each have our own opinions. I'm just posing an alternate view. I honestly don't care what oil you use, but there are reasons why car manufacturers want to make sure you're using a quality product - and one way to ensure that is to make sure it meets certain specs that they control.

I don't think you have to give GM access to you oil forumation, by the way - it just gets tested to meet certain specs - they don't need the "recipe". :)

We'll have to agree to disagree - it's ok. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
People said the exact same thing about Catch Cans - the truth is that they can deny warranty coverage for any reason they want (and *have* denied warranty coverage just because a catch can was installed - right or wrong) - and then it's up to *you* to fight them in court. I'm not spreading any misinformation. Even the link that you posted above from the Amsoil site says something to the effect that "if GM gives you warranty hassles have them call us and we'll set them straight"! I'm sure it's happened already.

Some people think DexOS is a scam and others (like me) think it's a good thing. We each have our own opinions. I'm just posing an alternate view. I honestly don't care what oil you use, but there are reasons why car manufacturers want to make sure you're using a quality product - and one way to ensure that is to make sure it meets certain specs that they control.

I don't think you have to give GM access to you oil forumation, by the way - it just gets tested to meet certain specs - they don't need the "recipe". :)

We'll have to agree to disagree - it's ok. :)
:beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts