Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 impala and when i swapped out the axle shafts I noticed that the ends on my sway bar were broke. If I'm going to replace it I want to upgrade. Here comes my question should I get the GMPD ugrade kit or is there a better kit I also saw doorman and the like for sway bars but I'm not sure but i think the handling upgrade kit from gm would be best. What is your alls opinion

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Try to get a solid bar instead of hollow like factory bars. You will see a hugh difference. I think the front is 32 or 33mm. Check doorman, zzp,addco, GMPP and others compare and make your choice

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
don't remember I thought it was hallow, but I have this setup on my 2002 Buick Regal and it works very good, came that way from factory, has over 300,000 mile on it no problem and I like to attack turns so it has not been babied. Usually the GMPP kit is hard to beat for price, a lot of guys on RegalGS.org got this kit over others.
Call and ask them if it is hollow or not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the gmpp kit better than the gmpd kit?

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
sorry gmpd is correct

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this gmpp sway bar kit is the same thing as the link I posted for the gmpd sway bar kit earlier just different website and price?

GM Performance Sway Bar Kits

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
82 Posts
The GMPP sway bar is solid. I believe it's 34mm. I have it on my 2000 Regal. It's a tough unit and for the price you can't really beat it.

The stock older Wbody sway bar is really a POS. I snapped the one in my Regal clean in half. The GMPP will be a real nice upgrade for you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The GMPP sway bar is solid. I believe it's 34mm. I have it on my 2000 Regal. It's a tough unit and for the price you can't really beat it.

The stock older Wbody sway bar is really a POS. I snapped the one in my Regal clean in half. The GMPP will be a real nice upgrade for you.
So are you saying that the gmpp kit on w body store is better than the gmpd kit on gmpartsdirect?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Honestly I'm not even sure what the 'GMPD' kit is. If it's a factory replacement with the same hollow sway bar...then it probably sucks. If it's a solid piece like the GMPP bar that I have, it's probably great.

I can absolutely vouch for the kid Wbody store sells (which is why I posted). I have no idea about the other one in question.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Honestly I'm not even sure what the 'GMPD' kit is. If it's a factory replacement with the same hollow sway bar...then it probably sucks. If it's a solid piece like the GMPP bar that I have, it's probably great.

I can absolutely vouch for the kid Wbody store sells (which is why I posted). I have no idea about the other one in question.
This is the gmpd I think it's the same kit as the wbodystore I just can't tell.

GM Parts Direct: pk12456148 - Grand Prix, Monte Carlo and Impala Handling Upgrade Kit

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I have an 03 impala and when i swapped out the axle shafts I noticed that the ends on my sway bar were broke. If I'm going to replace it I want to upgrade. Here comes my question should I get the GMPD ugrade kit or is there a better kit I also saw doorman and the like for sway bars but I'm not sure but i think the handling upgrade kit from gm would be best. What is your alls opinion
The ends of the bar itself, or the sway bar end links?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ends of the bar itself, or the sway bar end links?
The ends of the actually sway bar itself separated I guess it's a common thing on the stock bar

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Dang, I heard that

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
The ends of the actually sway bar itself separated I guess it's a common thing on the stock bar
metal fatigue on oem crap hallow bars, a lot of them break just back of the eyelet on the bar.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
metal fatigue on oem crap hallow bars, a lot of them break just back of the eyelet on the bar.
Yupp that's exactly where mine broke

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
same here on a 2000 Impala LS. Way to go General Motors:clap: These cars will never reach the rust belt with a hollow sway bar:gaah:
Yeah there's a few things you can count on here in Michigan a lot of salt on the roads and never ending construction

·
Registered
432 Posts
The GMPP bar is hallow, get the Dorman sway bar. Its a totally solid bar and is the same diameter as the GMPP bar, maybe 1 mm smaller but who cares. :eek:k3:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts