Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided I would swap the BCM from my boss's 02 impala with another of out 02 impalas that is not having weird electrical problems. I swapped them, but then the radio would display "locked" when the key is turned on, and the engine will not crank. I tried unhooking the battery for awhile, but that didn't help. I wound up switching them back for now, but I would still like to try it to see if the BCM is the issue. How do I go about resetting it to where the cars will start?

EDIT: the consensus I am seeing elsewhere online is that the BCM is programmed to the specific vehicle, and cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle. Is this right? If so I guess the dealer is the only remaining option.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
thats what i was thinking "guess the dealer is the only remaining option"

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Wouldn't the dealer have to "program" a new BCM for the car? Maybe I am wrong but I would think that they could reprogram the new used unit for your bosses car.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I have been reading is that they can only be programmed once, if that's accurate then no.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
you SHOULD be able to do the passlock learn on it, may take a few tries and each one takes 30mins....
theres a thread somewhere int he 7th gen DIY

as for the radio, theres an 800 number to call you can get the radio to display 3 sets of numbers, call the 800 number, theyll give you unlock code or some shit like that, google it....

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a book somewhere that tells how to reset the radio, from my GMASEP program. Not so worried about that part. As for the passlock learn, I don't really have that kind of time to throw at it. Right now they are deciding whether to send the car to the dealer (it will be about $400 to diagnose and replace the BCM) or to dump it since the tranny is going south as well. Car has over 250k on it and we're trying to update the fleet a little.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
As much as the guys use these cars I would say with 250K, a bad BCM, and a tranny going south it would be a good time to update, might even come out ahead doing so.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have 2 new chargers on order, we just need enterprise to find them. Then I swap the equipment from the old cars into those, they get marked up with the decals, and we have 2 less of these POS's to deal with!

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, and it looks like we'll be switching to the new caprice after the next charger. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yep, and it looks like we'll be switching to the new caprice after the next charger. Fingers crossed...
dibs on 9c1 caprice when u get it

if you are ditching the W bodies, i could use a tear drop, low profile LED bar, possibly bully bar and DEF laptop stand

Just sayin ;)

Galls is too expensive lol

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish we had things that nice! We'll be ditching the 7th gens, it's just not cost effective to repair them anymore. None of them have lightbars, and none of our cars have laptop stands, and also they are all civilian base models. We have LED lightbars on 2 of the 8th gens, but we're not getting rid of those yet, and the idiot mechanic before me got the wrong brackets for them so they sit almost 3 inches over the roof.

However we do have a load of 9c1 center caps, the mechanic before me drilled and tapped the civilian rims and the bolts all stripped out so we can't use them, I'll double check but I'm pretty sure they'll sell those.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pm me with an offer, keep in mind they know what they paid for them, but will expect some depreciation. They may want to make one last push to see if I can get them re-mounted, but the only thing I can think of at this point is to weld nuts to the wheel surface, the holes are already too big to tap any larger.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I'll be sure to try that. Lol

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Btw, sent the car to the dealer. They needed to diagnose the issue before they would fix it, 2 hours diag and a new battery (it was only 2 months old, but it got fried) and they came to the exact conclusion that I did weeks ago. So $500 later the car has a new BCM, and we are doing future business with a different dealer...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts