Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it's not like I'll be coming into a huge sum of money any time soon, but I'm just wondering... If I wanted to swap out my 2003 base model's 3.4 for something a little more beefy (say a 3.8):

what are my options as far as replacement motors go (what will fit/work, etc.)?

What will I need to get in addition to the Motor and the ECU?

What (if any) alterations will need to be made (for example motor mounts, etc.)

And finally, what are my options for places to purchase? do I go with the junk yard or can I get a rebuilt one from the manufacturer (My dad did this for a customer's vehicle a few months ago)?

I'm not looking to buy any time soon, but I'm just getting a ballpark of what I should be looking for and such. I've given up on the 3.4L... not enough potential for me.

thanks for the help, you guys always have the best answers for my questions! :)

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
This sounds like a PITA....Buying a 3.8 would be much faster and easier and probably close cost. Plus, you could upgrade other options.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This sounds like a PITA....Buying a 3.8 would be much faster and easier and probably close cost. Plus, you could upgrade other options.
yeah, but where exactly should I get one from? Junk yard is most likely cheaper (and closer to my budget of nothing) but obviously, you get what you pay for. What are some things I'll want to make sure I also get when I go to buy one and where should I go exactly?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
moradparts, junkyard, GM refurb. As for other parts, IDK. I think MOST are same.
yeah I might cruise the yards when I get my second job B/

Like I said, it's a long way down the road... all i need it for now is to get from home to school and work... so we'll see in the future. first matter of business though... the tape player HAS GOT TO GO... lol

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah we'll see... I just had some more major expenses come through... looks like the car is on hold for another few months... B/

I'd do a new photoshop, but we just got a ton of freezing rain and sleet... it's under 3 feet of FROZEN ICE and snow... so once everything thaws out, THEN I'll get back to this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts