Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
The 700R4 is the way to go as it's got less electronics and would be a simpler swap from what I know.

To change to a 700R4 you'll need:

* the driveshaft will likely be a different length so that needs to addressed, either shortened or swapped out for a longer one, I don't know which way it goes.

* there's a chance that the crossmember would have to be modded or swapped out because the bolt with the rubber pad won't likely line up.

* the 700R4 was designed to work with a computer and they make several kits that allow it to work without one. I've used kits from TLC but that was 10+ years ago so I'd research it to see what's available now. I got my kit from Summit. It's pretty easy, you pull off the pan on the 700R4 and install some components and run a vac line from the intake or carb.

* Myself I'd probably swap a tilt column from a later car but I have seen stick-on "PRNOD21" indicators but I've never used them.

* They used different starter gears and starters in these cars and you need to make sure that the one that ends up in the car matches the starter.

* The bolt pattern mounting the trans to the engine is the same.

A 700R4 and a HEI distributer would be essential mods to any 60's GM pig for me!

One great thing about the TLC kit I put in was that you could run a switch to it that allowed the torque convertor to lock up in Drive and 2nd as well as the stock Overdrive. That gave you comething they never sold from GM: the ability to lock up in Drive when you're going over hills that Overdrive can't handle. That is a real gas saver where I live.

I would do that mod in a heartbeat! Don't drive the 700R4 without the kit - it won't last long if you do.

Powergide - :hellno:

700R4 - :10:

I had a Q-jet/700R4 equipped '85 Caprice wagon that I got around 20 mpg in! It would go into drive and lock up the torque convertor at 32 mph - talk about a cruiser, it was probably only going 1000 rpm. I love that!

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 700R4 is the way to go as it's got less electronics and would be a simpler swap from what I know.

To change to a 700R4 you'll need:

* the driveshaft will likely be a different length so that needs to addressed, either shortened or swapped out for a longer one, I don't know which way it goes.

* there's a chance that the crossmember would have to be modded or swapped out because the bolt with the rubber pad won't likely line up.

* the 700R4 was designed to work with a computer and they make several kits that allow it to work without one. I've used kits from TLC but that was 10+ years ago so I'd research it to see what's available now. I got my kit from Summit. It's pretty easy, you pull off the pan on the 700R4 and install some components and run a vac line from the intake or carb.

* Myself I'd probably swap a tilt column from a later car but I have seen stick-on "PRNOD21" indicators but I've never used them.

* They used different starter gears and starters in these cars and you need to make sure that the one that ends up in the car matches the starter.

* The bolt pattern mounting the trans to the engine is the same.
__

A 700R4 and a HEI distributer would be essential mods to any 60's GM pig for me!

One great thing about the TLC kit I put in was that you could run a switch to it that allowed the torque convertor to lock up in Drive and 2nd as well as the stock Overdrive. That gave you comething they never sold from GM: the ability to lock up in Drive when you're going over hills that Overdrive can't handle. That is a real gas saver where I live.

I would do that mod in a heartbeat! Don't drive the 700R4 without the kit - it won't last long if you do.

Powergide - :hellno:

700R4 - :10:

I had a Q-jet/700R4 equipped '85 Caprice wagon that I got around 20 mpg in! It would go into drive and lock up the torque convertor at 32 mph - talk about a cruiser, it was probably only going 1000 rpm. I love that!
I'm biulding the same set up and I don't have a shop close by that deals with driveshafts. So my question is do you know the length of the drive shaft you have from the transmission to the diff. I'm running a 10 bolt with a 700r4. It's in my 66 impala 4dr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts