Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a hell of a time finding any high performance suspension parts for my car. I'm not 100% sure, but I heard that the 91-96 Caprice/Impala used the same or simalar chassis. If so, would I be able to use components from an SS? I know Hotchkis & RKSport make high-pref parts for those cars. Heres the deal, the car is getting a stroked 03 6.0L LSX motor (402cu. in.) with a Turbonetics 101mm turbo and a built 4L60E tranny. My idea is to have a strong stock style suspension that will handle 1000+hp and not have to go to tubular A-arms, IRS, or 4-link setups. I want to be sneaky.

Now for the interior. The car is that nasty "butternut" yellow witch I plan to keep. The interior is light tan, or at least I think it was. The car sat for 2 years so everything is well faded and torn. I want to put a black interior in it. Did they make a black interior for these cars? I have never seen one in these years myself. Is there anywhere I can find ANY interior parts other than junk yards, trust me I've looked there. I'm sure anyone who owns one of these year cars knows that anything in the yards is pretty well worn out. It doesn't help that I am in the midwest either. It's amazing my car is in as good of shape that it is.

Thanks guys. any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
On your cars fram you might want to consider having the C channel part of the frame welded up as a box frame. Between the front and rear doors of the car the box frame gets reduced to a C channel frame. If you are going to put 1,000+ HP under it I would stiffen up the frame. You will not notice that the frame has been modified unless you are under the car. To go with "strong stock style suspension" use the Heavy Duty Springs from any 77-90 Caprice or Impala 9C1 police cruiser. These springs will handle the load just fine. For added stabiltiy go with bigger front sway bar and add a rear sway bar also.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
On interior part, try E-Bay. I have seen parts for these cars on E-bay auctions. Some are cap parts (that is they go over your existing parts), other are new parts. Interior parts are hard to find for these 5th generation cars. Also try JC Whitney. Also look in this Forum for "Making a list for Impala Parts". There are several websites that deal with the Impalas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where can I get sway bars from? Or would the 9C1 cars have them also? I know were there are 2 old county squads sitting in a local junkyard around here. Both are pretty complete minus engine & trannies of course.

Boxing the frame is definatly in the plans. My chassis builder just ordered some new stock for me. My 81 Camaro is running a Procharged small block w/ a 100 shot of NOS. I have sub frame connectors, drag shocks, and all those goodies.:wink: I know how stiff the chassis needs to be in order to keep the power to the ground. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Yes the squad cars should have them. If not try JC Whitney, I have found them in there catalog before. Also might try your local auto parts store, they should be able to order them for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts