Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting in a twin screw supercharger for 2001 Impala, with the 3800 series 2. Is there any suggestions as to which company is better ? Open to all suggestions even turbos'. I'm also trying to keep the price range down.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
1. as far as i know there is no direct bolton twin screw (yet) for our cars, IIRC WBodyStore is working on one with no release date
2. you can do a top swap from a 98+ GTP for an eaton m90 for around $1000
3. base turbo kits (ZZP & Cartuning) strart around 3500 non intercooled

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which is better for my 3800, driving back and forth from college, work and occasional high way speeding, a turbo or a super charge ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try these guys :

http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CT-TURBO-KIT&Category_Code=PA_NSC&Product_Count=0

I have never bought anything from them, but before I bought my 96 Impala SS I was looking at the Grand Prix and Regal as a perfect sleeper and found these guys 3years ago. They have a turbo kit for your model and year as well as other GM's with the 3800 engines and even retro-fit kits for those with factory superchargers. They even have a video of the kit in a Grand Prix on the dyno (great power kick-in sound) and on the drag strip. Just remember to upgrade your brakes as much as you can ! Anybody in a Chevette or Civic can do 90mph but how many can stop on a dime ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just looked through the 3800performance.com site again and they don't list a phone number for phone orders. I have never bought anything from them but I did a search and they seem to be legit. Pontiac Grand Prix forum members and a couple of others sites have been mentioned them as a performance parts company and I have not found any bad reviews for them. This is a site I found and never had a chance to order from.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
WBS, 3800perf, ZZP,Intense, Milzy, Cartuning, and Overkill are all rep. shops.
FWIW I prefer Intense/Overkill (b/c of the customer service i have had w/ them)
The topswap kit you listed will fit, but it is difficult to install (basically have to drop the cradle to swap the crank pulley) and will be a project!
ZZP sells another version of it using stock L36 (N/A) heads w/ a modified intake

The S/C will be harder on your stock trans then a TC is, BUT the TC will cost more... I, not saying youll have issues, just relaying some info ;)

From what i have heard there are a few people who have bought 3800Perf PCMs who werent 100% satisfied w/ them, and eventually went to ZZP or another company afterwards.
Either mod will net you lower gas milage, due to the fact you'll grow a lead foot as an end result ;),That being said, I still average 26mpg w/ my SC'd Imp.

I guess the biggest question would be who is installing the mod for you? Skill level? Location?
Theres quite a few local WBody groups that are usually good for having guys who have modded/willing to lend a hand.

Also just so you know, AFAIK, all the parts you'd be getting on a top swap would be used, might want to double check w/ each vendor though.

Once you go with either of these ods, you will want to start saving either fir a properly built trans ($1500+) or atleast a HD Diff upgrade.
$900 + install kit isnt that bad for a topswap kit though ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts