Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tryin to install a sub and amp in my 12 imp to a factory radio but I can't figure out where to put the turn on wire or the audio out cables. Please help ASAP!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
X2 on the converter. All you have to do with it is tap into the positive and negative on the rear deck speakers. Vampire clips work fine for that, no cutting and splicing if your not comfortable doing so.

For the power antenna, the easiest way is to run it strait from the battery with a switch tucked up under the dash. That also helps if you wanna listen to something that all that bass won't sound good with. If you want it to work with the ignition you can search with a test light to find a switched fuse under the dash, and get a fuse tap. But then the amp is always on with the key on.

Reactions: Ocfussell

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I ended up tapping in to the mirror for the turn on wire. But as for the audio input, I had to tap in to the Bose amp and that was a nightmare 2 hours later I got it to work. Now all I have to do is upgrade my terrible 600 watt amp and 12in sub. I'm thinking about goin for a 1000 watt amp and 2 12s. Any thoughts on a good combo for less than $300?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Thanks all. I ended up tapping in to the mirror for the turn on wire. But as for the audio input, I had to tap in to the Bose amp and that was a nightmare 2 hours later I got it to work. Now all I have to do is upgrade my terrible 600 watt amp and 12in sub. I'm thinking about goin for a 1000 watt amp and 2 12s. Any thoughts on a good combo for less than $300?
Many people will throw out opinions for a sub/amp combo! I have had nothing but a good experience with used subs. A used sub will already have been broken in. Yes, subs require a break in period. I have had no problems with my hifonics 1500watt amp. A proper tune is key to good quality sound, no clipping, no worries of overheating. Have an audio shop tune the amp and line out converter. You will be much more satisfied. :eek:k3: A lot of audio shops carry a ddm d1 audio tuner which si the best way to tune an amp. The human ear can't hear distortion. Way better to have a digital device do your tuning.

·
Banned
667 Posts
1000 watts will pop your alternator.

alternator is only good for 1458.6 watts that is assuming it still has 100% efficiency at 14.3 volts

You do not even need much wattage to drive a speaker.

I use a el-cheapo 65watt amp(6 channel amp about 10 watts per channel.) that can drive a 10" car sub-woofer 4ohm. (sealed type)

once people found out what the cheap amp could do the price went up on them. :( I see them selling for 30 to 55 on ebay for a used one, in the store it was about 65 new in 2003.

The most amount of speakers I connected to it was about 12 of them did not even fry the amp.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
1000 is pretty good for anything, if it's rms that's enough. Used subs will save you but you can get new and still be under $300 with the price of sub and amp. I got my set up for about $300 all new.

·
Registered
2 Posts

How did you end up tapping into the Bose amp? I bought this Sony deal and my audio shop had my car for 8 hours last night and still couldnt figure it out. My car is still there right now. Anybody know the wiring on those things? I have an 06 Impala SS with Bose. Please help. Heres the link to what im trying to have installed.

Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System Digital signal processor, 12" sub, sub amplifier, and cradle for iPhone® or iPod touch® at Crutchfield.com

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
1000 watts will pop your alternator..
Where are you getting your information? I am pushing 1000 watts and my voltage stays around 13.8-14.3 all the time with, barely any headlight dimming. No alt issues.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Iv been running 1000 for almost a year with no problems.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Where are you getting your information? I am pushing 1000 watts and my voltage stays around 13.8-14.3 all the time with, barely any headlight dimming. No alt issues.
what alternator do you have. i have a little over 1300watts and mine dim a lot if the extra batt isnt hooked up. i need to replace it.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
what alternator do you have. i have a little over 1300watts and mine dim a lot if the extra batt isnt hooked up. i need to replace it.
Stock alt. I had huge headlight dimming before doing the below steps. A few things I suggest

1. Replace headlight grounds (near left headlight) and clean contact point on crossmember
2. Replace body ground that connects to neg on battery (I used pure copper)
3. Get zzp's alt power cable
4. Have your amp tuned correctly

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Stock alt. I had huge headlight dimming before doing the below steps. A few things I suggest

1. Replace headlight grounds (near left headlight) and clean contact point on crossmember
2. Replace body ground that connects to neg on battery (I used pure copper)
3. Get zzp's alt power cable
4. Have your amp tuned correctly
Hmm, the amp is tuned good, it's pushing more power than RMS cause its under 1ohm. I've been wanting to redo my grounds but need the wire.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How did you end up tapping into the Bose amp? I bought this Sony deal and my audio shop had my car for 8 hours last night and still couldnt figure it out. My car is still there right now. Anybody know the wiring on those things? I have an 06 Impala SS with Bose. Please help. Heres the link to what im trying to have installed.

Sony XDP-PK1000 Digital Link Sound System Digital signal processor, 12" sub, sub amplifier, and cradle for iPhone® or iPod touch® at Crutchfield.com
It was a bitch. My buddy worked for a car audio place for a while and I had him bring me some stuff to make it happen. The place you took it should have the right stuff but it will probably take them a while to figure it out. That's just the nature of car audio I guess. Ill take some pics and get a hold of my buddy and ask him what all we put in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts