Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 04 Impala base 3.4 auto tranny recently we have been having trouble with our ignition keys we have to fool around with key to get ignition to turn the other night i did get key to turn and went to start car and nothing lights in dash all on but no click from starter or anything so i left key to on position and went out and crossed selenoid over with screwdriver car took right off and was good till last night did it again this time when i crossed selenoid over it started ran about 3 seconds and stalled then all it would do was crank over so i decided to take out ignition switch i had a spare here out of a parts car i bought and that car started perfect i got the second hand switch installed and it still won't crank over the message center is flashing battery light and the passlock is flashing this is very annoying soon gonna light a match to car lol i love the car but this is very frustrating any help would be greatly appreciated sorry for long post wanted to make it as detailed as i could

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Check the wiring behind the switch, particularly the yellow wire.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had a problem with the ignition/security where it wouldnt start when i was leaving from the post office. Luckily i had a can of air in my car I sprayed it in the ignition some object(a piece of food?) flew out and the car started right up. No problems since saved me from a tow/mechanic!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Just thought i would update i bought a whole new ignition switch and put it in went through the relearn and everything is good now starts fine thanks for the info fella's

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Just thought i would update i bought a whole new ignition switch and put it in went through the relearn and everything is good now starts fine thanks for the info fella's
Sweet :beer:

Such a common failure point on GM's it is absurd. I would suggest to any GM owner to clean the lock cylinder every year with compressed air or "fine/small" vinyl brush. Over time dust/dirt/grime builds up inside and causes the passlock switch to stick and malfunction at times. But, the ignition switch itself is defective and tends to fail w/o much warning. Whenever you have an abs/airbag/trac off/etc light show up get it checked out ASAP :eek:k3: A failing ignition switch can cause surges in voltage and can burn components up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts