Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to my fellow Impala people out there! We recently purchased a 2002 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 V6. The plug wires will not come off? What am I missing?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Twist and pull. You can try spark plug pliers.
This.

The rubber boot gets stuck on the plug's ceramic and becomes mated with it. If you don't twist the boot, it requires too much force to get the wire free without pulling it apart. The plug pliers are super helpful in breaking the boot loose. They are the perfect tool for gripping and turning the boot without damaging it or the wire.

That said, get a set of wires anyway, just in case :) Having a set on standby might save you a trip back to the parts store at crunch time.

If they're not needed, you can return them at your leisure.

Doug

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Twist and pull. You can try spark plug pliers. If you mangle the wires, replace with new. Be sure to put dielectric grease in the new wire boots before connecting.

I have used Q-Tips to apply a small amount of dielectric grease inside the spark plug boot. Too much will cause the boot to not seat properly. An alternative is to apply the grease with a fingertip to the porcelain of the plug before the boot is installed.

·
Super Moderator
18,473 Posts
Welcome! Get us some pics please!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope there'll be pictures soon, I know someone who can help with this (gjdrivelines.com.au) and so pictures are essential!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The plug pliers are super helpful in breaking the boot loose. They are the perfect tool for gripping and turning the boot without damaging it or the wire.
I must be getting old. I had intended to include a pic.

These are marked "Craftsman 47315". They are also marked "WARNING–USE WITH ENGINE OFF". You gotta wonder how that came to be necessary :)

As shown in the pic, the jaws are formed to grip the plug wire at a right angle or axially, whichever makes it easier, I suppose.

Doug

plug_pliers.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts