Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems my shoe gets wedged in between the Center console and accelerator.
I notice this has becoming a issue and is causing a increased delay in brake time. Since I have to get it un-wedged by pressing the accelerator even more.

Since I had to pull over for a EV (ambulance) almost rear end another car because of it. how should I report this ?

It's causing a lot of unintended acceleration

Am i missing a cover right there? for the OBD II connector?

Yeah I admit that I have a big foot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I don't know that there is much to "report", as a big a space is there I bet you only even has a problem with a certain pair of shoes.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Have to agree with Dwayne here, how on earth are you getting stuck that far back from the pedal?

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
When I wore winter boots in My car I could get my toe stuck on some underdash wiring.

An old like 70s Furd box truck I used to drive for work had the clutch and gas so close together the side of a steeltoe size 12 workboot could snag the throttle so you have to careful about foot positioning.

Neither of those cases did I ever consider going to the NTSB, just took a little care to avoid issues I knew could be caused by my footwear and positioning.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
King is right though. I have the same center shift setup and there has to be 6 or more inches between the top of the pedal movement and the part above circled.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
1. No cover missing for OBD II. Even if it was, it doesn't matter. Some ford products, like my Linc, have a cover, but i took it off and left it off to save a step when tuning.

2. I am also suspicious of your shoes. I have one pair of shoes that "catches" when I am driving.

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I wore winter boots in My car I could get my toe stuck on some underdash wiring.

An old like 70s Furd box truck I used to drive for work had the clutch and gas so close together the side of a steeltoe size 12 workboot could snag the throttle so you have to careful about foot positioning.

Neither of those cases did I ever consider going to the NTSB, just took a little care to avoid issues I knew could be caused by my footwear and positioning.
Yeah I wear boots only.
Can't wear regular shoes as I easily get a sprained ankle.

I had my ankle sprained 3 times on my left foot and 4 times on my right foot, so I avoid regular shoes at all cost.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Even still, when I'm driving, my heel is planted between the gas and brake, so my foot just pivots to one or the other, I'm trying to figure out how ones foot would have to be positioned to get stuck that far over and back.

I should also add that I am typically wearing size 12 steel toed boots.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Yeah I wear boots only.
Can't wear regular shoes as I easily get a sprained ankle.

I had my ankle sprained 3 times on my left foot and 4 times on my right foot, so I avoid regular shoes at all cost.
I would be working on some ankle strength training.

Can we guess you wear midheight like 6" tall boots and keep the side of your foot against the tunnel?

Reactions: TSS

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would be working on some ankle strength training.

Can we guess you wear midheight like 6" tall boots and keep the side of your foot against the tunnel?
Probably cause I weight alot as well , 102kg or 225 pounds .

Very good shape compared to most Americans No spare tire here.. The only one I have is in the trunk.

Even still, when I'm driving, my heel is planted between the gas and brake, so my foot just pivots to one or the other, I'm trying to figure out how ones foot would have to be positioned to get stuck that far over and back.

I should also add that I am typically wearing size 12 steel toed boots.
I wear doc martens

I use two foot style of driving . No I do not ride the break. (foot just sit flat on the floor.)
the other way made my ankle sore. So I stopped doing it
Heel-and-toe.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I have size 14 Carolina work boots . Waterproof, steel toe, and 800grams thinsulate.

They get stuck once in a while i just gotta be careful.

I also weigh 230 and am 6'1 and have ankle problems.
I have found that high top shoes with good prescription insoles do the trick for my flat foot and ankle problems. Its a good solid fit with good support.

I can now do full workouts in the gym and do mma fights with no issues. Might be something to look into if you dont wanna live in boots.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
If it's really an issue, get some velcro and velcro a large piece of foam or plastic behind there to prevent the foot from being lodged in there.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I am 5'11'-6' and probably 220lbs at the moment, as heavy as I have ever been starting to drop some now. That really isn't heavy enough to cause weight issues on a 6' frame. I did try the "goodfeet" thing for awhile but in the end the problem I had was undiagnosed whiplash for a decade from a snowmobile accident. Once I got my neck fixed a lot of the leg, knee, low back issues vanished.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I'm 6'2" 230lbs and all my joints are garbage, but for some reason my ankles are ok...

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
How OLD are you people?
I am 35 the snowmobile accident was when I was 18yo and I didn't see a chiropractor till I was 28yo, the x-rays of my neck were ugly and the chiro told me my neck was the source of my back problems before I even filled out the new patient paperwork. My neck never hurt but my low back and legs/knees/feet would.

I don't want to sound like a commercial for chiropractors but I have seen it in myself where something wrong in one place causes pain elsewhere. As dumb as it may sound a Wii system with the balance board helped me too as before I was putting a lot more weight on my left leg.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Im 19.

I too used to go to the chiropractor 2 times a week because my spine was way out of alignment but at $40 a visit it got really expensive and i gave it up.
It made me feel great

Only problem is after months or years of going one serious shock can make you have to start all over again.

Doing mma, riding quads and dirtbikes, running a dozer and loader at work, and a bunch of other things that i do pretty much made it a waste of money.

I find a good deep tissue massage every month relives the pain quite nice for awhile and have a good back brace for after fights and riding when needed

·
Banned
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How OLD are you people?
I am 35 the snowmobile accident was when I was 18yo and I didn't see a chiropractor till I was 28yo, the x-rays of my neck were ugly and the chiro told me my neck was the source of my back problems before I even filled out the new patient paperwork. My neck never hurt but my low back and legs/knees/feet would.

I don't want to sound like a commercial for chiropractors but I have seen it in myself where something wrong in one place causes pain elsewhere. As dumb as it may sound a Wii system with the balance board helped me too as before I was putting a lot more weight on my left leg.
24 First time I sprained it was when I was 10 both got sprained at the same time I had to use crutches for for about 3-4 weeks.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
If you're only as old as you feel, I'm about 75. But otherwise I'm 30, just happened to luck out with genetics, osteoarthritis really started to kick in around 25.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I bought a used inversion contraption off Craigslist that helps when the low back starts to act up. Not the normal table I was looking for but something called the "back revolution" I paid a fraction of the new cost and it takes up less room than a traditional inversion table. You hang from your knees though so no napping on it.

I wouldn't specifically endorse it over a more traditional table as I never used a traditional inversion table. This was just the first thing that came up on CL at a reasonable price when I started looking at options. I will say though that hanging upside down does help stretch the back and IMO doing that even just 2-3 times a week can put off chiro visits to a lot longer interval.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts