Impala Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious...
I am looking to replace the front struts on my 06 Impala. I have never had to do this before but doesn't seem too difficult. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good type of strut to use? I am looking for a pre-assembled strut and I have read up on Monroe, but there seems to be some conflicting information out there. Can anyone shed some light on this please?
Also, if anyone knows a good website to purchase through that will be cheaper than the average auto store, feel free to let me know! ( I looked at www.autopartswarehouse.com a little)

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
acdelco is the factory replacement, so if you're fine with the ride go for those. if you want to try something a little different i've heard good things about KYB. Monroe's are not getting the best rating on this site. also i just looked up the same kyb strut i was going to purchase today on that site you posted and they're higher in prices than Rockauto.com. also with rockauto you can put in the codes for more money off (i believe Sheila just posted a code recently).

i do recommend looking into an alignment after replacing the struts.

personally i'm replacing all 4 struts and doing a 4 wheel alignment in the near future. 150k miles on the original struts, i suppose they've far exceeded their lifespan (only started riding a little rough the past year and now i'm getting some slight wear on the tires).

The KYB's i had planned on buying are sold out (or not enough to complete my order), guess i'm waiting another few days or weeks to see if they get them back in or not...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
also i just looked up the same kyb strut i was going to purchase today on that site you posted and they're higher in prices than Rockauto.com.
Re: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com

I want to say that, when I replaced the struts on my 07 SS a few years ago, I got them at autopartswarehouse.com because they offered free shipping, which made the deal much better. (But most of my online auto parts purchases are with Rockauto.com .)

Doug

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
i just ordered my KYB complete strut package from Rock Auto for 537 after shipping ( i used a 5% rebate code to save around $23). i was going to use the site you showed but then when trying to order the parts it seemed like i may need to order some additional parts because they weren't all inclusive. to keep things simple i just paid the extra money through rock auto which specified the mount assembly was included. just a heads up on something to look into before purchasing from one site or the other.

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
Maybe they have already done it then.
You'll notice them when you take the old ones off. Will be these weird looking bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle and they will have a bump on the shoulder of them. Kinda looks a bit like a cam lobe.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
A good alignment shop should be able to align it without the camber bolts unless something is bent. There is enough play in the knuckle to strut bolts that you can get camber adjustment out of them with a little loosening and a prybar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts