Impala Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Obviously I'm new to this forum but I can't wait to learn more about my Impala. First, it's an 07 LT with the 3.5. About a month or so ago, I noticed a strange noise that I only hear while breaking and I notice it more, say like, going through a parking lot. Sometimes I hear it in town while stopping at red lights and such. It may do it during higher speed stops , but I only notice it during slow roll stopping. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like two pieces of styrofoam rubbing together. It's not a constant noise, but more like a (excuse me) womp womp womp. It seems to be getting more noticable, but the braking is not affected. I stop fine. Anyone ever had this type of a noise? Could it be something in the front end going bad and becomes more noticeable when the brakes are applied? :dunno: TIA for any help!!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
does it shake or wobble? possibly a warped brake rotor?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Have you ever had your rotors and brake pads changed?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I would suspect you need a brake job, when were they last done?

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Nuc_meltdown, welcome to the forum! It's great to see the community jumping in with their input, and please feel free to send me a private message anytime for further assistance. I'm always happy to explore your next steps with you!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys folks. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I installed new pads and had the rotors turned about 2 months before this started. I've gone back and rechecked the calipers/pads. Everything seems to be fine. Well, except for this sound. Lol! I guess, this may be one for a shop to diagnose. I hate to do that!! I doubt I can catch a recording of it without being under the hood. Anyway, keep throwing suggestions out there. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Pulsing noises from the brake area would nearly always be a warped rotor. If they were just "turned" (I take that as put on a lathe), maybe the shop removed too much, which makes the rotors thinner than expected, consequently causing them to warp quickly.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Side thought, maybe its a buildup of brake material from the new pads. Try cleaning the rotors with a cleaning agent (brake clean for instance).

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Could have got them too hot and still warped

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the rotors were warped again would it not shake when I stop like before I had them turned? It stops fine, even at highway speeds. The guy who turned them for me said they had probably two more "turns" (with a lathe) on them.
I don't know much about calipers. Can they go bad? Is there something in the system that could be failing? Not doubting any of the suggestions made here, I just feel like it's in the braking system from the pedal to the calipers. It's driving me nuts!! I don't like for my ride to make abnormal noises. Lol!!
I'll check the things you guys mentioned and see. Thanks and keep em coming.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
maybe a tire out of balance?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm gonna put it up on jack stands Thursday morning after work and see if it will do it. If I can get video/audio of the noise, I'll post it. I know it's hard to describe noises. Lol! If nothing else it may help someone down the road. Thanks.

Scotty, I just had the tires rotated and balanced about 2 wks ago. It was doing it before and after. Thanks and keep em coming.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Have you checked out your front suspension bushings? When coming to a complete stop the front end nose dives and adds extra pressure on the front end. Could be movement or vibration in the suspension...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I haven't. If that is the case, it probably would not duplicate on jack stands either. ugh!! The car has @119k miles so that could be a possibility. Something else to look for anyway. What's the best way to check those? Will the bushings look visibly bad or what?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
split, cracked or dry rot. I use a pry bar and try to get some leverage against whatever bushing I'm testing. Like putting the pry bar against something solid and whatever part your testing and give it a few firm tugs to see if there is any noticeable movement.

Reactions: nuc_meltdown

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll look at that thursday when I get it off the ground. Thanks for all the replies. I'll check everything and I'll report back if I find anything.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I didn't know if my explanation made sense so I found a video :beer:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Scotty. I guess by looking at that it would be fairly easy to figure out. lol
I still think my noise will be something dumb/easy that i've over looked. lol! no matter how embarrassing it is, i'll report back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. As promised I return with what I found. Warped rotors.:bang: They weren't warped enough that I felt it in the pedal or steering wheel, but with the tires off you could really see the calipers moving from it. Apparently it wore the brake pads in a way that it was rubbing funny and made my mystery noise. For some reason I decided to invert the pads and the noise went away. But, now i can slightly feel a pulsing in the pedal and steering. Sooo, I guess I'll just buy some better rotors and put more pads on. See, I told you it would be something that would make me look silly!:giggle: Anyway, thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciated!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts