Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower will the 4L60-E transmission be able to handle before seeing any problems?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
DwayneJ is getting at least 500wph on a stock trans, so more than you're probably gonna throw at it.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Dwayne's is not stock. These thing's are lucky to handle stock HP. Which is why alot of guy's recommend building the car from the rear forward.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Well he keeps saying stock, he have a kit in it? Still, the trans will hold lots of power, even if it needs some tweaking to do it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The stock tranny will hold stock power just fine. It will handle bolt-ons no problem. For how long? That's a crap shoot. Installing the trans-go shift kit, and adjusting the PCM tables slightly does wonders for it's life. There are guys doing that were GM Serta replacements, and spraying nitrous THROUGH the shifts. Last time I talked to him, he had 50,000 miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Why even comment on what a "stock" transmission will handle when they are now 15+years old?

Far as my tranny it has been rebuild with a lot less "upgrades" than you would think, mostly stock or stockish stuff with careful attention to clearances and responsible shift kit setup and it is over 7.5 years old and was built back when I envisioned a LOT less power for the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts