Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1964 sedan with the 283. I just purchased a couple weeks ago and an starting to dig in and find all the problems. I have ordered the shop and assembly manual with hopes of doing some of the work myself, but admittedly - I'm much better with computers than cars.

The car has an AM radio installed and it appears that somebody had another stereo installed at some point in time with an under dash kit. The problem is - I can see no wires that were hooked up to the AM unit aside from a pretty odd bunch of harness that were for the front/rear fader. I am just trying to find the ignition and power line. If somebody knows what color I should be looking for - I'd appreciate any guidance. It's been many years since I did a stereo install and am no wondering if I should go straight to the battery for my power and just fashion some sort of ignition turn-on. It looks like somebody has don't some re-wiring to this vehicle though they did a poor job.

Thanks for any insight.

- Aaron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Arron,
The wire you are looking for that connects into your stereo for 12 volts with the turn of the key is black with a yellow stripe.

You should invest in the 1964 chevy shop manual supplement and the assembly manual. Both have the same wiring diagrams. The shop manual will explain things a little better. I am rewiring my '64 right now and am dealing with the same stuff.

Good luck,
Nate

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stereo Wiring.

Arron,
The wire you are looking for that connects into your stereo for 12 volts with the turn of the key is black with a yellow stripe.

You should invest in the 1964 chevy shop manual supplement and the assembly manual. Both have the same wiring diagrams. The shop manual will explain things a little better. I am rewiring my '64 right now and am dealing with the same stuff.

Good luck,
Nate
Thanks Nate, I actually ordered both of those manuals...sadly, they have not arrived yet and I'm anxious to get started :biggrin:.

The Blaupunkt London I am putting in calls for the ignition power and I think full time power (maybe to keep presets?). I have seen the black/yellow wire you're referring to so that at least gives me a start.

Thanks again.

- Aaron

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did the wiring in a 1965 impala for a friend, and just did an underdash install and ran all the wiring myself, including a new fused power cable right to the battery. The new cord will provide a cleaner power source, so if you find youre having static problems, try that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts