Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I learned recently that you can replace just the "caps" of the buttons right off. And they simply pop off. No need to remove the steering wheel or cover. Finding some in a junkyard would be your best bet. I tried locating them once before online to no avail, other than ebay.

Reactions: GTXKen

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! thats good news. They all function just fine but the paint has peeled off all of these and they look crappy, cosmeticly thats the only thing wrong with the interior. I take it that this was really common though and I may have a hard time finding them right?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yes it is real common and you might have difficulty finding them. A lot of them will likely also be worn down as well. And the steering wheel controls were an option so not all impy's will have them. But, its worth a try.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah I would find some in a yard or source a set of new ones, when you do I would then apply some sort of clear coat on them to protect them from rubbing/pealing off again.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yeah I would find some in a yard or source a set of new ones, when you do I would then apply some sort of clear coat on them to protect them from rubbing/pealing off again.
2nd that

Def a good idea.

That and don't use them more than necessary. When your not driving use the radio controls. Also cleaning the wheel/buttons with a decent interior cleaner on a regular basis will help.

After seeing all the steering button problems online and in junkyards I am surprised at how good of shape mine are. They must not have been used very often.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes you can just pick them out and replace them. Don't remember exactly where I got them. Once I found the part number I shopped that around on the internet. My guess was about $20 a side. I knew I could not paint them to look like new. I'll look but pretty sure I tossed the old ones. I had worn the black completely off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I learned recently that you can replace just the "caps" of the buttons right off. And they simply pop off. No need to remove the steering wheel or cover. Finding some in a junkyard would be your best bet. I tried locating them once before online to no avail, other than ebay.

What did you use to pop them off with and did you just pop them straight out of the steering wheel or take the air bag out first?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I didn't replace mine. Mine are original yet, I just read it online somewhere. You should be able to pop them out with a simple flat head screwdriver or small plastic pry bar (panel remover). The basically just press onto the switch.

Removing the airbag/steering wheel is NOT necessary

·
Registered
183 Posts
it's tricky. Getting them off initially is easy. However, to get them off completely you have to take them off of the connecter also. To get to the release tabs for the connecter you have to release these long spring like clips that are in the way of the connecters that are a royal pain in the rear to get back on. I guess GM has a special tool that I have not seen yet. I practiced on 4 different cars at the junk yard before i got it right. :gaah:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts