Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The '07 SS (presumably same on all 8th Gen Impalas) is the most uncomfortable steering wheel I have ever handled. The pleather is way too slick, and the steering wheel diameter is too thin, making my hands hurt on my daily 80mi commute. Any suggestions? I am not warm and fuzzy about putting on a steering wheel cover, as they tend to not cover the wheel 360 deg and make handling even trickier:mad:...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yea fuk a wheel cover makes tight turns hard and if ur trying to pass someone at high speed lol:biggrin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the wheel covers that dont slip on, the ones that you wrap the wire around to secure them would be the way to go. They have some squishyness to them, go almost all the way around on most cars.. havent tried it on the impala yet, but ive had one on every vehicle ive owned before. Ive tried some regular ones but they slip off the wheel if you grip them tight or the material they are made of slips your hands easy.

One like this one:

Ive always had issues getting the end's to stay put though..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just ordered a Wheelskins leather cover for my '08 - had an '05 previously and the steering wheel literally started to disintegrate after just a couple years. don't know if it was from the sun or hand oil or what. Not only did the color all wear off down to the foam where I would grip it but along the top of the wheel the foam came unbonded from the core. I'm hoping that a cover will prevent that from happening on the '08. Will let you know as soon as it gets here (just got the car on friday)

they are pretty nice covers, next best thing to a factory leather wheel

·
Registered
22 Posts
The '07 SS (presumably same on all 8th Gen Impalas) is the most uncomfortable steering wheel I have ever handled. The pleather is way too slick, and the steering wheel diameter is too thin, making my hands hurt on my daily 80mi commute. Any suggestions? I am not warm and fuzzy about putting on a steering wheel cover, as they tend to not cover the wheel 360 deg and make handling even trickier:mad:...
Faced the same problem with the steering wheel on my '09 LT; it's the hard plastic one, not the leather wrapped. I researched the WheelSkin brand cover where you need to stitch it on your self. Some comments from users were that it was very difficult and time consuming to install and when they were done it looked sloppy. The feedback was split 60/40 negative.

I had a slip-on one for 4 years on the Malibu I traded in and liked it so I went the same path with my new Impala. Picked it up at Walmart for $9 (made by Bell). easy to install, looks pretty good actually and has improved my grip on the wheel. Try it, you might be happy with it and it's no great $$ loss if you don't.

·
Banned
351 Posts
I think the steering wheel on my 07 SS is fine... the leather makes my hands wicked sweaty though, and i think it is too large (reminds me of a School Bus Steering Wheel) but in terms of grip Im not having a problem...

In the past I have found very nice slip on covers and never had a problem with the way they looked, but to each his own. If it wasnt for the all the controls I would probablly swap it out for a smaller, street rod style wheel, but its not worth it due to the electrical components.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts