Impala Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had heard a use or ever needed to use the +/- buttons under the left hand/cruise control multi-switch buttons, but since I've swapped steering wheels, I've tried looking for just what the 2 buttons under the main cruise button area actually do.

They aren't mentioned in the manual: I've searched google, google images, and you tube.

I couldn't care less, but I'm curious why they are there at all if no one ever needs them.

I'm guessing they're like a vestigial tail, and don't do anything. :D

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
If you're talking about the +/- buttons behind the cruise buttons (like where the volume up/down is on the right-hand side), then those are your manual shift controls. Basically, using them, you set the highest gear that the trans will shift into. So if you set them to "2", you'll never go higher than 2nd gear. So you can kinda-sorta use them as manual shift controls, but it's not really the same as a true manual shift, because you can't, for example force the car to start off in 2nd gear. Like I said, they just select the highest gear the trans will go into.

Check out page 9-25 in the owners manual for more info.

You have to put the main shfiter into "L" (Low) to use those shift controls. I've only used them like twice since i owned the car, just to see what they do.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:eek: What a horrible place to put shift controls.

I expected something more like a 'rachet shifter' in manual mode before I bought the car.

It works way different than any previous auto trans shifter system I've ever used.

Manual mode is absolutely horrible. The manual mode shift points seem to be redline. :eek:

It gives a basic, sustained downshift, but it's been nearly useless to me.

I'll use it to pass where I want to stay in the lower gear before, and after, the pass until l'm sure I want to upshift and lift off the gas, then I manually upshift.

Still not seeing it in the manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1046334/Chevrolet-2016-Impala-Limited.html?page=9

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
It starts on page 182 in that version of the manual. It's called "Electronic Range Select (ERS)". Under the "Driving and Operating" section.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts