Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 SS and all the labeling and printing on the radio/cruise/etc on the steering wheel have chipped or peeled off.

It makes the interior look terrible, especially at night when they light up.

Any ideas on how to repair or replace and where to buy.

Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
There was another topic on this going around. You can go to the dealer and buy the buttons and replace them. Its a little tricky to get the steering wheel off cause you have to have a special tool to get the air bag out and then remove the steering wheel. If you let me know which ones you need and the last 8 of your VIN i can give you part numbers and prices on them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i dont think you need a special tool to get the airbag out. you just have to make sure you disable the airbag before doing anything and then on the back of the wheel there are some sort of retaining bars that you just push in with a flathead screwdriver. then once you get the airbag out, there are a couple torx screws that keep the buttons in place. i would check my local junkyard before getting them from the dealer, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for helping and here is info

There was another topic on this going around. You can go to the dealer and buy the buttons and replace them. Its a little tricky to get the steering wheel off cause you have to have a special tool to get the air bag out and then remove the steering wheel. If you let me know which ones you need and the last 8 of your VIN i can give you part numbers and prices on them.

I appreciate the help. Would think this is a common problem and more postings. It is a poor quality item and Chevy should be embarassed.

Do you have to take the steering wheel off to replace the buttons?

I need all six buttons and the last 8 vin is 49293439.

Thanks again for helping.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I appreciate the help. Would think this is a common problem and more postings. It is a poor quality item and Chevy should be embarassed.

Do you have to take the steering wheel off to replace the buttons?

I need all six buttons and the last 8 vin is 49293439.

Thanks again for helping.
The left radio button is 15219678 price is 24.51. The right radio button is 15219672 price is 31.17. The left cruise button is 15219700 price is 45.28.
The right cruise button is 15219674 price is 43.96. Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
9 Posts
mine was doing this too. on the volume button on the right side. i just took some flat black nail polish and hit the corner of it up and let it dry. it looks good and it hasnt chipped yet. mine was only doing it on the corners thought not the words that let you know what button it is.

·
Banned
91 Posts
i sadly have the same problem with my 04 LS, only my buttons are to the point that you cant read them any more. thank god i know which ones are for what! lol. they were bad when i bought the car, and over the year that i have had it, they have only gotten worse. i was going to buy new ones, only problem is my money situation is pretty tight right now so my buttons are just going to have to wait, along with my new gauges! :sad10:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How hard to put the buttons on?

Do you really have to mess with the steering wheel or do the buttons just pop off and on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
sorry to bump this but could someone post some up close pics of the steering wheel buttons mine are so worn off that i dont remember what they say on them i know what they do and how to use them i just want to know what they had printed on them from the factory

1 - 11 of 11 Posts