Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. Can't believe I missed that in the other thread.. My cars been doing it all day yesterday and today, where as it used to only do it when it was cold like everyone else's, hope it's not getting worse. i know you said it's just an annoying sound but have you heard anything about possible damage caused by it? And did yours ever come back after adding the conditioner?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
From what I read, it does not cause any "mechanical issues" - it's just an annoying noise. I can't be 100% sure that is true though.

And surprisingly, I have not once heard the noise since removing all of the fluid from the power steering reservoir and replacing it with that Lucas Power Steering Fluid w/Conditioners. I drove the car for over 3 hours yesterday and never heard the noise once (and did quite a few "parking maneuvers", which is when I mostly heard the noise). But, again, I can't be 100% certain it wouldn't come back if it went down to 30F degrees though.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so you replaced ALL the fluid with this? Not just mixed it with regular OEM? Was one 16oz enough or did you need 2?
I'm assuming you sucked all the fluid out then turned whe wheels (with the car jacked up and turned off) to get more out? I think I may try this which is why I'm asking, I asked my friend who's a tech at a gmc dealership and he said no go on the power train warranty covering it, so I'm on my own to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I simply sucked out all of the fluid that was in the reservoir and replaced it with the Lucas stuff - I used one of those little "syringes" used to administer liquid medication to infants to suck it out. I didn't turn the wheels or anything like that. Obviously, the method I used does NOT replace all of the fluid since there is still a substantial amount of fluid in the rest of the power steering system, but I think that it replaces enough to make a difference (the Lucas stuff does say that it's safe to mix with any power steering fluid though, so no issues mixing it).

You could always do this procedure twice (or even three times) over a few days in order to replace almost all of the fluid. Or, you could just take it to a shop that has the right equipment and let them replace ALL of the fluid. But, since we're not 100% sure that replacing the fluid actually solves the problem (at least temporarily), you may not want to spend the $$ to have a shop do it - at least not yet. I just figured for the cost of the Lucas fluid and the time it takes, it was worth a shot...

I only bought (1) 16oz bottle and probably only used about half of it, if that (i'd have to check the bottle to be sure though).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. I have a electric pump I use to change it and I'll do what you did so there's some OEM left in there... I know it says its compatible with anything but I still like a little of the factory fluid to be I there, and if it fixed your car (so far) then it very well may work for mine.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Make sure to post back with your results! Since my car didn't make the noise all of the time, it's hard to truly gauge the results. I think the issue is more severe for you, so you'll be able to know right away whether it works or not...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I sucked all the fluid I could out, jacked up the front wheels and had someone turn them lock to lock (engine off) while I sucked more fluid out. When all the fluid I could get was drained I poured the exact amount of Lucas with conditioners back in, started the engine and bled the air..

At first the noise was just as is has been and after a short drive it started to subside but was still there. I parked in my driveway and turned the wheels lock to lock several times. Later I went into town and the noise was present when I went down my driveway but that was the only time I noticed it, even parallel parking I didn't hear anything.. My feelings are, doing a proper flush and fill with this Lucas might be the ticket. I'm also curious about replacing the hose with a larger one and flushing and changing to transmission fluid as the tsb states, just not replacing the rack. Would this be possible without hurting anything? Would it make a difference?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Give it a day or two before doing anything more - maybe it just needs to "work itself in". It sounds like you haven't heard the noise since you left for town, so maybe it won't come back at all anymore....

Regarding your questions - I really don't know the answers - sorry!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@kb3gup - any update? Still making the noise?

Still making the noise! Mostly when the engines "cold" not necessarily the weather is cold, just the engine. Tomorrow I plan on sucking all the fluid I can out of the ps reservoir and replacing it with the Lucas with conditioners again. I'm hoping that more will get mixed in with the oe fluid that's not easy to get out and make a difference. To do a proper "flush" with this stuff would be rather $$, which if I knew it would work I would do. I will report back in a couple days.

How about you? Any changes?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Damn - that really sucks - I was hoping that it worked for you...

I still haven't heard the noise since putting the Lucas stuff in... But, it's much colder out now, so I'll see what happens during my next drive and report back.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Still haven't heard the noise since I replaced the reservoir fluid with the Lucas stuff. Just took a drive while its' 36F out and still no noise. Maybe I caught the issue before it became "permanent" on my car? Or maybe it will come back soon too - time will tell.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good, glad things seem better for you! I'm a bit under the weather so I haven't hat time to do the complete flush with it, but in the next few days I will and report back.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did a complete flush and change to the Lucas ps fluid. I started my car before I did anything and the squeak was very pronounced, after I did the flush it squeaked about 4 times and stopped completely and hasn't done it sense, so we'll see. How has yours been?

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Hmm - that sounds like good news!! Hopefully, it stays that way!

Mine has still been noise-free - even this morning when it was below freezing.

I still can't believe that it will fix the issue forever though - I have a feeling that it's eventually going to come back. In my case, if it comes back, I'll get it addressed under my extended warranty.

In your case, I hope it stays that way!! Please do keep us updated - may determine whether or not others should try it if they have the issue.

Thanks for reporting back!

EDIT: When you say that you did a "complete flush" - what does that mean? Did you just replace all fluid in the reservoir multiple times or did you somehow force all of the old fluid out with a pump or something?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes hopefully things stay this way for both of us.. The first time I jacked the front wheels up and sucked all the fluid out of the reservoir then had my better half turn the wheels (engine off key on) lock to lock while I sucked more fluid out.. This time I removed the return hose and bled all the fluid out while adding to the reservoir until I I thought it was all clear fluid running out.. I poured some of both the Lucas and new gm fluid into separate clear jars just to see if I could notice a difference. It seemed the Lucas was slightly thicker than gm, at least when it's cold, just a fact I found interesting.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I know that when I removed the old fluid from the reservoir, the fluid that was in there was a very dark-colored fluid - the Lucas fluid is clear.

Was your old fluid very dark as well? Not sure what color it was when it was originally put in, but mine was dark brown when I removed it...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes mine was pretty dark. I'm trying to copy the procedure from the service manual but for some reason it isn't letting me. But here's basically what it says-

1. Jack up front end so the front tires are off the ground.
2. Remove all the fluid you can from the reservoir
3. Turn the wheels lock to lock with the key on engine off, then suck that fluid out
4. Remove the return line (at the reservoir is easiest) and plug the barb coming out of the reservoir
5. (This is what i found to be the easiest) extend the return line by inserting another hose into a drain pan.
6. Key on engine off, have someone turn the wheels lock to lock while you add fluid to the reservoir, until what comes out the return line is new clean fluid.
7. Hook the return line back to the reservoir, I found the clamp that's on there from factory will NOT re seal and its best to use the "screw" type hose clamp.
8. Bleed the air, Have your assistant turn the wheels lock to lock, key on engine off, until the fluid level settles, this may take a little while. Unless you have a vacuum pump with the adapter for the reservoir, in that case apply 10-15 in of vacuum for 20 minutes.
9. Have the wheels straight, start the car, Leave the cap off, observe with a flashlight any change in fluid level or if you hear a squealing sound, shut the car off as the pump is sucking air.
10. Let the car run 10 minutes with wheels straight and off the ground with cap off.
11. Replace cap, lower car and test drive for 5-8 miles, take some extra fluid with you in case of a problem. When you return check the fluid level and add if necessary.

This is what the manual says, I'm sure there's other ways to do this, and just sucking the fluid out of the reservoir and adding new does ALOT and is often sufficient (according to my friend who's a tech at a gm dealer)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts