Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. Bought a '05 lease trade-in in Aug. 2007. A few months later we began feel a thump in the steering during breaking, etc. The dealer "fixed" it during routine service and the symptom did go away, but it's returned now about 9 months later. I've since learned from other forums/posts that this is a very common problem that is temporarily fixed by lubing the column.

Can anyone help educate me to lube this myself? I don't know the first place to start. Thanks for the help and the great forum.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ISS is the problem. Yes, it needs to be lubricated. A kit from the dealer costs about 12 bucks.

Some people end up buying a new part to replace the existing one, and others have no problems with it.

I had the dealer service my ISS 2 years ago and it still works fine.

·
Registered
375 Posts
NAIOA has a link to service the ISS yourself, and member ZSpot should be able to hook you up with the information you need, since he's a dealership parts guy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Sorry for the very delayed reply here. Thanks for everyone's input. I have been doing the "white lithium grease down the boot" thing about every 6 months or so and that seems to keep it lubed well enough not to thump, clunk, etc. It's been my fix for now anyway. Thanks again for all of the useful info, and sorry again for only now replying.

·
Registered
375 Posts
No worries. Good to see it is working.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts