Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to have a blue print of don romes stb brackets but I doubt he would give it to me lol. Does anyone have the dimensions? Or if not can anyone make me a cardboard template of their front and rears? :wink:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I don't think that is a huge concern here... it wouldn't take much work to mock up your own brackets, most of the cost is probably materials anyway, billet isn't cheap.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I agree with king.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Not cool to be asking for help stealing someone elses work. Engineers and programmers call this work NRE (non recurring engineering).

Don sells the brackets for a pretty cheap price considering the low sales volume and amount of time he obviously put into them. You can buy the W body tie bars directly from GMPP or from Don. He modifies the front bar to clear the alternator on the SS and still sells it cheap.

If you have way more time than money and you want to make your own. Make up some templates by cutting and punching heavy paper like chunks of file folders. Once you have the strut bearing stud holes you'll need to lay a set of GM tie bars on top to mark the hole locations.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Thing is, it's not really stealing someone else's work. If I asked for help making a t-shirt, would I be ruining Hanes? Granted this is a much smaller scale, but it's not a brilliant and unique innovation we are dealing with here. Either you are willing to put in the labor yourself, or you want to pay Don Rome to do it.

Reactions: Ocfussell

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Don's brackets are made well, though I had to do some minor grinding to two of them to get them to fit perfectly with the strut tower bars.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thing is, it's not really stealing someone else's work. If I asked for help making a t-shirt, would I be ruining Hanes? Granted this is a much smaller scale, but it's not a brilliant and unique innovation we are dealing with here. Either you are willing to put in the labor yourself, or you want to pay Don Rome to do it.
Yes, I agree.
Sorry, in my first reply I should have made that point clear, I should have said don't ask for blueprints to design your 'own' part. If you have the tools and skills to fashion the part figuring out the dimensions on your own should not be difficult.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Fair enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's not like I plan on selling these. I just have a buddy who has a shop with everything I need to make them but I have no time off from work to drive to Atlanta and do it myself. I could make a cardboard template, because I'm more than capable of doing so, but I do not have the gmpp strut tower bar to get a perfect fit on the brackets. I also plan on just welding a cross bar to the two brackets instead of buying the bolt on bar and if I wanted to buy a setup like that ( the ones rip98gtp has) I would have to spend a whole lot more. And I don't believe this is stealing someone's idea or hard work, I simply prefer to not only get the satisfaction and peace of mind of making it myself, but also to save a few bucks in the process.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well it's not like I plan on selling these. I just have a buddy who has a shop with everything I need to make them but I have no time off from work to drive to Atlanta and do it myself. I could make a cardboard template, because I'm more than capable of doing so, but I do not have the gmpp strut tower bar to get a perfect fit on the brackets. I also plan on just welding a cross bar to the two brackets instead of buying the bolt on bar and if I wanted to buy a setup like that ( the ones rip98gtp has) I would have to spend a whole lot more. And I don't believe this is stealing someone's idea or hard work, I simply prefer to not only get the satisfaction and peace of mind of making it myself, but also to save a few bucks in the process.
If you are not going to use the factory strut tower brace and are just going to weld a cross bar to two brackets you shouldn't even need a copy of his template. You should simply make a bracket cutout of your own that will give you adequate material to weld the cross bar onto.
:idea:

Not trying to be a d**k but I work in the IT/Computer field and have had people copy my scripts/programs and claim them to be their own.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
All you have to do is change one small and minor detail to get by the copyrights. Not only that but, if you are not selling then, no laws will be broken. Someone could technically send over an absolute 3d rendering of the STB's and you could copy it for yourself with absolutely no legal worries at all. Sure some may think its "wrong" but, my point of view is: If you can do it cheaper, why not?

Reactions: Ocfussell

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Sure some may think its "wrong" but, my point of view is: If you can do it cheaper, why not?
This is exactly how the Chinese manufacturers think. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are not going to use the factory strut tower brace and are just going to weld a cross bar to two brackets you shouldn't even need a copy of his template. You should simply make a bracket cutout of your own that will give you adequate material to weld the cross bar onto.
:idea:

Not trying to be a d**k but I work in the IT/Computer field and have had people copy my scripts/programs and claim them to be their own.
I really should have never asked lol. And the difference is that I'll give credit where credits due, plus there's an entire thread to prove it. I guess I'll just tackle it and hope that it works out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone have any completely custom stbs? No I'm not gonna ask them for help I would just like to see how they did it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts