Impala Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did a little research and it appears that the answer just depends on the state. Some states use the laws from the state that the car is registered in and some use their own laws.

What seemed to be globally apparent though, is that cops will use the tint simply as a reason to pull you over to find bigger things to get you for (research was from a law enforcement site)! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Go Get It
15,046 Posts
Yes, that is very true! Interestingly enough, while I had the Caprice searched 3 times by the police, I have never had the Impala searched. In fact, the only thing I've been pulled over for in the Impala is tint (all by the same officer) but never searched. Very interesting...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ha, profiling. I've been stopped and searched in GA. They don't play in GA. These damn impalas are Dope Runner cars lol. Police profile them so bad on the interstate. I gotta get me another car man....

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Been pulled over once strictly for tint. By a state cop, showed him my script and he said i'm the first one hes ever pulled over with one and to have a good day. City cop tried to give me crap for it after pulling me over for something else and he just dropped it once he seen my script. Ive been pulled over for "running a yellow light", talked to him and he agreed it wasn't yellow, for exhaust and tint. And once for not being able to see my license plate, which was by an under cover border control, and he let me go.

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
Man I am breaking the law!! :devil:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Tennessee and NC aren't too bad at 35% all around. Atleast that's dark enough to both aesthetically pleasing and fucntional. new York is 70% though? Lame...

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
I'm 15% all around and a 5% strip along the top of the windshield ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
How might I go about getting a prescription for a darker tent.

My eyes are very sensitive to the sun, oh ow it burns (lol) :sunny::icon_wink:

·
Super Moderator
1,591 Posts
If I see a cop I roll my windows down lol..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, first of all, thanks for your question. I had also bought a new car and when I drive, sunlight is the big issue for me. After that one of mine friend told me about the thetintguy.com services. I like their services and hope if someone wants tinting services they can use their service.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Link in the op is perhaps an old link, got message no longer available.

Dunno TN regs on tint, but do know I had a state trooper argue with me attempting to ticket me for stock tint on my 92 Z71 I had back years ago. Was night time and he held a card behind the glass, he eventually let it go. The factory tint on the glass on our 08 limited durango is darker, never been stopped for it or asked about it.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I've updated the OP to just include the state law chart itself instead of a link to a site - this way it will always be there. :)

Also, SUV's/mini-vans/trucks, etc are allowed to have any amount of tint on rear windows - even if it's illegal for cars in that state! That's why so many of those vehicles come with tinted windows from the factory - because it's legal in every state.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've updated the OP to just include the state law chart itself instead of a link to a site - this way it will always be there. :)

Also, SUV's/mini-vans/trucks, etc are allowed to have any amount of tint on rear windows - even if it's illegal for cars in that state! That's why so many of those vehicles come with tinted windows from the factory - because it's legal in every state.

Good to know.

·
Super Moderator
12,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Good to know.
Actually, I should qualify that statement with "that's my understanding" - I am certainly no expert when it comes to tint, but that is what I've heard. There may be certain states where that is not the case for all that I know... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the effort, dude. It's appreciated.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts