Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I have a 2008 Impala LS. My key remote control does not have the engine starter button. My neighbor has the same car with this feature and he says that all I need is another remote control and do some simple programming on the dashboard. Is it really this simple?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Remote starter

This is interesting because it's possible. I looked through my old 06 manul and as usual because it's not a factory manual it doesn't give you all the information. I know with Harleys a few years back, programming and and accessory could change an option. Manufacturing being the way it is, would be condusive to a main harness. The starter and 99% of the wiring should be the same. The only thing that changes for the most part is where the starter relay is intercepted or controlled. And it is conceivable that the same module that controls the doors, trunk etc., could also be the one that controls the remote starter. If it is, then it most likely can be reprogrammed to a remote starter. I find it hard to believe that chevy would make different modules these days. Seems cost prohibitive. Anyway, I would seriously look into it. I wish I had your car and a factory manual in front of me.

jeff

·
Banned
748 Posts
The factory remote starter I find useless, the 2 way remote control is the best route to go.. i love the 2 way remote starter i got installed saves so much of headache like checking on status to see if you locked your car or not or started it or not etc etc.. you will never achieve that with factory remote control

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can get factory remote start if you car has and RPO code of AP8. It would be listed on a white label in the trunk under the carpet near the spare tire. If you have this RPO code you will just need the new style remotes and controller programming with the special code that is included in the remote start kit. If you do not have that RPO code it still is possible but it will cost more $$$$ since their will be more parts than just new remotes and controller programming involved. You can also get two way factory remote start as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2006 Chevy Impala. it states on my dash display that my vehicle may have remote start . There is an option to turn it off and on, I purchased my vehicle used and it did not come with the key fobs. Just curious if my car does indeed have remote start? Purchased 2 new key fobs w remote start option today and they should arrive in a few days.

·
Registered
641 Posts
If your dash has the option to turn remote start on and off then yes you do have remote start. All you need is the OE remotes with the remote start button on them, the remotes for my '08 have part #20833562. If your dash also displays "remote key learn" you will be able to program all the remotes without a Tech2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I noticed that my dashboard showed that it has an option to remote start.

I went on ebay and purchased a key fob that had the remote start button, it was like $30. You can use the DIC to program your fob and voila!

if you have your engine light on for any reason, it wont work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Last year when I purchased my wife a 2009 Impala LT it came with no remote . So I went to dealership to find out what features my car came with using the VIN # and found out it had the remote start option as well . So I ordered a remote from Ebay for $25 and programed it using the dashboard options and worked :)

·
Banned
748 Posts
what kind of distance will a factory remote start have?
You have to be inside the car to use that feature if its a factory remote start. :beer:

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
what kind of distance will a factory remote start have?
has worked from 50 feet with nothing in way. have not tried over that yet on my 2012

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It's supposed to be a 200ft range, but it's very common for them to only be a out 20ft, so pretty much like P-3 said...

·
Registered
285 Posts
How many feet

I believe the manual says 65 ft. However I am only quoting the manual. I think my 06 LTZ was a little more, but not much.

Jeff

·
Banned
748 Posts
My 2 way non factory remote has close to 2000 feet range and i am not kidding either.

·
Registered
285 Posts
2000ft

Your spoiled P-3, and I am just jealous. I know the factory stuff with all it's interlocks ( some for good reason ) are barely any real use. what we need is a factory start with a 357 mag option for people who should not touch other people cars, that included tow truck drives :devil:

Jeff

·
Banned
748 Posts
Your spoiled P-3, and I am just jealous. I know the factory stuff with all it's interlocks ( some for good reason ) are barely any real use. what we need is a factory start with a 357 mag option for people who should not touch other people cars, that included tow truck drives :devil:

Jeff
Not spoiled but 625$ broke... i had always wanted remote start for my car for winter pre-warming .. but never had the right car for it :devil:

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK..so now I've now programmed the remotes, everything works great including the remote start.. QUESTIONS?? It automatically turns on the heat and the blower on high, which is great but how does it know to turn on the heat? And in the summer will it turn on the A/C?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts